Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headphones not detected even after drivers reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 abcabc

abcabc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:11 PM

Hello! I have a problem which I tried to solve on my own for 4 hours but couldnt.   

I cant get sound on from my headphones as they are not represented on playback devices.  While playing a video, speakers are detected and they give sound.  Now if I plug in a headphone, sound stops coming from laptop speakers but dont come from headphones either.  Playback devices does not show headphone presence. 

I tried 2 different headphones on the two different ports.

1] tried updating sound driver -- it was already uptodate.  

2] tried troubleshooting audio -- no problems were found  

3] uninstalled high definition audio device from device manager ,   

played a video and got no sound from either speaker or headphone...,  

restarted windows, it automatically reinstalled drivers --- had sound from speakers but headphones still not visible on device manager.  

4] I have allowed to show disabled disconnected devices

Is there any hope for me or should I revert to windows7?   Thanks so much!!

The only thing I did today was to install classic shell.

Edited by abcabc, 11 December 2017 - 05:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

Are you talking about USB headphones?

If so open device manager and rescan your plug-n-play devices once the headphone transmitter is plugged in.

If you're talking regular headphones that plug into a 3.5mm (I think) jack on the machine then I'd bring up your device sound manager, often Realtek, to see what it has to say about whether or not the headphone jack (audio out) is enabled or not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 abcabc

abcabc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

If so open device manager and rescan your plug-n-play devices once the headphone transmitter is plugged in.

If you're talking regular headphones that plug into a 3.5mm (I think) jack on the machine then I'd bring up your device sound manager, often Realtek, to see what it has to say about whether or not the headphone jack (audio out) is enabled or not.

Thankyou for your answer, its  the  regular headphones that plug into a 3.5mm

windows automatically reinstalled this driver upon restart , which i unstalled. Its not realtech, I think

sound> playback> speakers -- 2- High definition audio device  default device

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,870 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

Do you have something like DTS audio control?

It is very difficult to advise without knowing what vendor-offered (as opposed to manufacturer-created - I have DTS on my HP laptop) audio controller your machine might have.  It should show headphones as a playback option when they are plugged in.  They could be set at 0 volume for some reason.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 abcabc

abcabc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

Thankyou very much!! I thought hard and remembered I had installed another software yesterday. I uninstalled it and now my headphones work!!!!  

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-10-Codec-Pack/3000-2194_4-77498091.html  

I thought it wouldve helped me with the new codecs...  

edit

My headphones are giving sound but cant see them on playback devices

Edited by abcabc, 11 December 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,870 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

I'm glad to hear the issue was resolved.

This sort of thing seldom happens with the style of headphones you've described.

~ Lauren Bacall

#7 abcabc

abcabc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

I'm glad to hear the issue was resolved.

This sort of thing seldom happens with the style of headphones you've described.

My headphones are giving sound but cant see them on playback devices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users