Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

caution: current pending sector count (HDD)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sovreer

sovreer

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

I am trying to understand the real seriousness of this message given by crystaldiskinfo.

I recently began receiving it on two HDDs. The caution message looks the same on both: "Current pending sector count. Current: 200. Worst: 200"

One of these drives is under warranty the other isn't.

I backed up all data on the drive no longer under warranty and reformatted it. Now cystaldiskinfo no longer shows the "caution current pending sector count" message. It shows the drive as being healthy.  So does this mean the drive is now safe to use, it wasn't beginning to fail after all? Or is there still a problem there which crystaldiskinfo is no longer registering for some reason?

I am planning to reformat the second drive as well, and RMA it since it is still under warranty. But if it too shows up as a healthy drive after I reformat it, and no longer displays the current pending sector count problem, I am wondering if WD will reject the warranty claim?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by sovreer, 11 December 2017 - 04:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

To determine whether there's any problem that can justify seeking to RMA a drive, use WD's own diagnostic:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

Since S.M.A.R.T parameters aren't standardized between manufacturers, general purpose utilities like CrystalDiskInfo might not be 100% dependable.

Generally speaking, if a Pending Sector count is reset after reformatting, the drive has had maintenance sectors available to map out any that have registered an error. That doesn't necessarily indicate a problem, unless it keeps happening. If the WD DataGuard gives a clean report, check the drive every couple of weeks to see if any pending sectors develop. If not, it was probably a one-off occurrence.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

The Current pending sector count means that the drive's controller has identified media problems and plans to reallocate them to the reallocated sector count entry the next time those sectors are written to. It is one of my red flags that further testing is needed.
Personally, I prefer HDTune, of which the Professional version is free for two weeks and is far more current than the free version. Go to http://www.hdtune.com/download.html and download hdtunepro_570_trial.exe which is free for 15 days. I'd suggest you save it before you install it; but, either way, you need to install it and run it.
Look first on the Health tab. The most important numbers are what is in the data (fourth) column for (05) Reallocated Sector Count and (C5)Current Pending Sector. If either one of them is not zero, plain and simple, the drive is failing. As long as it's there, you might want to look at (BF) G-sense Error Rate. The number in the data (fourth) column is how many times the drive has detected excessive shocks.
Even if (05) and (C5) are zero, I would strongly suggest for you to go to the Error Scan tab and run it by clicking Start. It may take hours if you have a large drive; but, that is the surest test to verify the drive's operation. If even one red box appears, the drive is failing.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 sovreer

sovreer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

Thanks platypus and Davis  for your very helpful and informative replies.

Interestingly, the WD Diagnostic found no problems with my drives.

I then ran HD Tune, which showed also that one of the drives is healthy. The other shows a value of 6 under data in C5. Fortunately that is the drive still under warranty so I have decided to RMA it.

But HD Tune also picked up something new I wasn't aware of. I have a 3 TB seagate expansion drive which is failing (BE) airflow temperature. Values are, Current: 53, worst: 40, and threshold: 45.

Is this something I need to be concerned about, and does it warrant considering an RMA? The drive seems to be running fine otherwise with no errors. It does feel very warm to the touch but not excessively hot.

Edited by sovreer, 13 December 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:12 PM

Seagate SMART documentation is not publicly available, so may be the most likely drive to give uncertain reports with generic testing utilities.

"The SMART values that might be read out by third-party SMART software are not based on how the values may be used within the Seagate hard drives."

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/203971en

Again, I'd suggest using Seagate's own diagnostics to assess a drive:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/006153en?language=en_US

Edited by Platypus, 13 December 2017 - 10:16 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:19 AM

I have seen several external drives for data recovery and many of them run too hot (inadequate airflow) which does shorten their life. The most useful test in HDTune is the error scan which takes a long (!!) time; but, reads every sector on the drive. Regardless of the reported SMART attributes, even one red box (read error) means the drive is failing.

#7 sovreer

sovreer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:04 PM

I wanted to update this thread to say I received a replacement from WD for the Passport drive.

A couple of things I noticed about the drive which I'd like to get feedback on.

The first is when I received I attempted to copy back all my files at once, about 2 TB worth. At first Windows opens a box to show it is copying the files, but ultimately nothing happens. I was trying to do this on a system running Windows 7. Is this a limitation of Windows 7 I'm unaware of? I ended up needing to copy the files back folder by folder, which worked, but was a little inconvenient.

Second: checking out this drive in HD Tune, it shows much less information than my previous Passport and than any drive I've ever had before. Within the health section only four variables are shown: 01, 03, 05, and C2, Raw Read Error Rate, Spin Up Time, Reallocated Sector Count, Temperature. Anyone know why this is?  All of my other drives show considerably more variables, so I just want to make sure this doesn't indicate a problem with the drive.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:37 AM

Since the entire Passport line is external USB and USB does not conform to the ATA standards for communicating with the storage device, all bets are off as to what results are reported to almost any SMART utility.  I don't like what you are saying was reported; but, we have no control over it, whatsoever.

These days, WD or Seagate (etc.) don't do anything more than assemble a pile of parts they have manufactured for them by several other vendors.  If a particular model has an inordinate failure rate, Googling the model number will get numerous hits for data recovery services and a few for what the problem, most likely, is; though, often, there is little we can do about it without a serious investment in specialized drive repair equipment($10,000+ US).

All you can do is to be very careful not to physically shock the drive while it is running, be sensitive to misbehavior, and pray that you don't have a drive which will eventually become infamous.

As an aside, unstoppable copier, unlike Windoze, will continue to perform the copying after it has encountered a read problem and it is free.

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:08 PM

But HD Tune also picked up something new I wasn't aware of. I have a 3 TB seagate expansion drive which is failing (BE) airflow temperature. Values are, Current: 53, worst: 40, and threshold: 45.

Is this something I need to be concerned about, and does it warrant considering an RMA? The drive seems to be running fine otherwise with no errors. It does feel very warm to the touch but not excessively hot.

Just to add my tuppence-worth to this, it could depend a lot on the model of 3 TB Seagate Expansion you've got. 

I've just upgraded from a 1 TB 'Expansion' portable to a 3 TB 'Expansion' desktop w/mains power. The 'portable' sits flat, with a totally enclosed case. I've seen the older 3 TB model is the same, just chunkier & deeper, since it's a 3.5 " drive, as opposed to the 2.5 " drive used in the 'portable'.

The 'Expansion' desktop I've just purchased is the new model. Sits upright, with small rubber feet; the back and bottom have airflow slots.....you can see the edge of the drive casing inside, so there's definitely a way for heat to get out on these.....and with at least two sides having slots, there will be a degree of 'air-flow'. I've only had this a couple of days, but already it appears to run a lot cooler.....which bodes well for longevity compared to the 'portable'.

(And to ensure stability, being a bit of a hobbyist craftsman, I've constructed 4 small 'legs', which I've glued to the outside of the case at the four corners. These have then been attached to the top of my tower, which is under my study desk, using double-sided, sticky-backed foam tape.

The tower's well out of the way of my feet, so won't get kicked. The sticky-backed foam tape ensures it's not going anywhere.....and the foam itself provides a degree of 'shock-resistance', and cushioning. The fact that it's now a 'permanent' fixture is of negligible importance, since I have no intention of using this on any other machine; it's my 'main' machine, and any files I want off it are shared across the LAN, using either Samba-TNG or fTP. Or, in certain rare instances, using the old 'sneaker-net' method..! :lol: )

Well, it works..... (*shrug*)  :P

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 31 December 2017 - 08:58 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users