Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Name Scanned Items And Then Find Them With Irfanview?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:19 AM

So, now that I've given my dad back his scanner that I may have broke by not locking it when I moved (Oooops!!! Sorry Dad!), I'm trying to get my own scanner hooked up and working. I've read the entire Installation Guide that came with the scanner, as well as the Help Guide that came on the installation disk, but I've yet to find my answer. Here's my problem:

When I scan my item it shows up on the PaperPort Desktop, which is part of the program that came with the scanner. When I scanned it, I wasn't given an opportunity to create a name for the item, and the system automatically gives it a name.....the date. The only option I saw that I could use for the name of my item when researching this was the FORMAT of the date (September 26, 2006 vs. 09-26-06, etc.), and even this option I don't think was given at the time of scanning, but it was something that you had to select as a preference, I think, before scanning.

I tried right clicking like you do on Windows, but it didn't give me the option to rename or name it all. I was able to create a new folder and give that a name, but that's only because there was a link under File where I could create a new folder. Also, these folders are not on the PaperPort Desktop like they are in Windows......instead they are listed on the left side of the Desktop. I moved my scanned item into the new folder I created, but I still can't figure out how to give it a name.

Okay, now here's my other problem with scanning this item. I'm trying to use IrfanView to adjust the dimensions of this item and get it to the correct size to submit to a magazine (as several of you on Bleeping Computer taught me how to do :thumbsup: ......thank you!!). When I open up IrfanView and go to File and select open, here is what I'm seeing:

1. Posted Image

2. Posted Image

3. Posted Image

4. Posted Image

5. Posted Image

6. Posted Image

So, can anyone help me find my image? LOL :huh:

Thanks!!
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Temo

Temo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:27 PM

I have never try it... But have you check it there are other programs that can be use to scan using scanner... They might not be... but you can try.
The biggest pain in this world is Debuging!!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:41 AM

Paperport will usually save scanned images in your documents file but you can see where it is by opening Paperport, do a scan. click file than save as and click the down arrow on the folder it defaults to to see where it is saving them by default.

You can also see the file extention.

When you save the scans, you can change the number it is defaulting as the name to whatever you wnat the name of the scan to be. You can also change the file it will save to.

#4 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:13 PM

So, today I went to IrfanView, clicked on Open, and THIS time I DID see the item was looking for!! Not sure why I couldn't find it yesterday???? Anyway, when I clicked on the item that I want to work with, this is what I'm getting:

Posted Image

I don't know how to find out what form it's in, though because the way I used to find out when the item is saved in My Pictures was to hold the cursor over it, and it would tell me. Nothing happens when I hold the cursor over the image in PaperPort. Do you have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Today I also REscanned the same item, but this time I saved it in My Pictures, but when I go to IrfanView, I'm getting the same message as shown in the image I linked to above.

This new scanner I'm using is so different from the other one that I had FINALLY figured out how to use. I don't see a time or place to even choose how I want the image saved. The steps that I'm taking are listed below, in case this gives any insight to what's causing my problem:

1. Double Click on PaperPort from my Desktop, and I get this image:
Posted Image

2. Well, I WAS going to tell you that the next step I do is to click on Twain, but, for some reason, all of a sudden I get a very strange message, and nothing happens. I don't remember the message, but all of a sudden, the scanner icon that was on the taskbar near my clock is no longer there. Also, when I open PaperPort, it's now different. There is NO TWAIN option!!!! I can't get the scanner to scan,,,,,even when I hit the scan button on the actual scanner. When I close PaperPort and then start over, the PaperPort Desktop appears normal while the hourglass is on the screen. As soon as the hourglass is gone, then the TWAIN option is gone and so are a bunch of other options at the top of the screen. WHAT HAPPENED?????? Here is a picture of what it NOW looks like when I first open up PaperPort and the hourglass is gone. Oh, and just so you know, the three images that are showing on the top of the desktop must be samples because they're not mine, LOL.

Posted Image

Can anyone help me get this stupid scanner situation resolved? Why did it stop working all of a sudden, and why did my scanner icon disappear off the taskbar even though the program is still listed in All Programs and it's on my desktop and I can open the program? Help please..............

Hugs,
Michele

So, today I went to IrfanView, clicked on Open, and THIS time I DID see the item was looking for!! Not sure why I couldn't find it yesterday???? Anyway, when I clicked on the item that I want to work with, this is what I'm getting:

Posted Image

I don't know how to find out what form it's in, though because the way I used to find out when the item is saved in My Pictures was to hold the cursor over it, and it would tell me. Nothing happens when I hold the cursor over the image in PaperPort. Do you have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Today I also REscanned the same item, but this time I saved it in My Pictures, but when I go to IrfanView, I'm getting the same message as shown in the image I linked to above.

This new scanner I'm using is so different from the other one that I had FINALLY figured out how to use. I don't see a time or place to even choose how I want the image saved. The steps that I'm taking are listed below, in case this gives any insight to what's causing my problem:

1. Double Click on PaperPort from my Desktop, and I get this image:
Posted Image

2. Well, I WAS going to tell you that the next step I do is to click on Twain, but, for some reason, all of a sudden I get a very strange message, and nothing happens. I don't remember the message, but all of a sudden, the scanner icon that was on the taskbar near my clock is no longer there. Also, when I open PaperPort, it's now different. There is NO TWAIN option!!!! I can't get the scanner to scan,,,,,even when I hit the scan button on the actual scanner. When I close PaperPort and then start over, the PaperPort Desktop appears normal while the hourglass is on the screen. As soon as the hourglass is gone, then the TWAIN option is gone and so are a bunch of other options at the top of the screen. WHAT HAPPENED?????? Here is a picture of what it NOW looks like when I first open up PaperPort and the hourglass is gone. Oh, and just so you know, the three images that are showing on the top of the desktop must be samples because they're not mine, LOL.

Posted Image

Can anyone help me get this stupid scanner situation resolved? Why did it stop working all of a sudden, and why did my scanner icon disappear off the taskbar even though the program is still listed in All Programs and it's on my desktop and I can open the program? Help please..............

Hugs,
Michele

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users