Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel platform trust technology high CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ashani2

Ashani2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:07 AM

I'm having a problem with IntelPTTEKRecertificationService using nearly 40% of my CPU continuously, even when no programs are open.  I've run virus and malware scans and they were normal.  I ran an SFC scan, and that was normal as well.  I installed the latest chipset drivers.  Nothing has helped and I cannot find a solution anywhere.  I have an Acer Aspire E5-575G.  Any suggestions on how to fix this or get rid of it, would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type control in the Run box, then click/tap on OK.

Open Programs and Features and uninstall Active Management Technology.

It's always a good idea to create a new restore point when you delete a programs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ashani2

Ashani2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

Thank you so much for your response.  I've tried to get answers at Acer, Intel, and Microsoft communities.  And wouldn't you know it... as far as Acer goes, my warranty ran out a couple of weeks ago, so no help there.  I went to uninstall Active Management Technology, but I see nothing called that.  Revo uninstaller doesn't have it listed either.  Any other suggestions?

Edited by Ashani2, 11 December 2017 - 01:37 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

Download and run Should I Remove It?  Use this to remove the file.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Ashani2

Ashani2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

I don't see it listed in the Should I Remove It utility.  Nice little program by the way.  According to Should I remove it, nothing I have on my computer has been uninstalled more than 25%, and that was Acer Portal.  However, I do have a program called Intel Security Assist.  I googled it and one site says that Active Management Technology is part of it.  Is it ok to remove the Intel Security Assist? Looking at my programs, I also have Intel Management Engine Components and Intel Software Guard Extensions Platform Software.  

I disabled Intel Security Assist and Intel Security assistant in services, and then rebooted.  Neither are running, but Intel PTT EK Recertification Service still is hogging my cpu.

Edited by Ashani2, 11 December 2017 - 03:10 PM.

#6 Northeast

Northeast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

Hi all:

I own a new Lenovo ideapad 2in1 11, Model 81CX (Win10) since a few weeks. Everything is updated.

I log-in with my full password.

Yesterday, suddenly, the CPU usage was 100%, mainly driven by the Intel EK Recertification Process.

In Task Manager I stopped it with End Task, but after restart it comes back again.

Meanwhile I checked this problem online and didn't find any good solution.

Does anybody know a fix for this?

I appreciate your comments

P.S.: I cannot find Active Management Technology.

#7 Ashani2

Ashani2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

What I did to finally fix this was go into BIOS and disable the PTT function.  I had to first create a BIOS password before that option was available to me.

#8 Northeast

Northeast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

Dear Ashani:

((What I did to finally fix this was go into BIOS and disable the PTT function.  I had to first create a BIOS password before that option was available to me.))

Thank you for your kind reply.

When you open the BIOS, does it automatically ask for a password for the BIOS, or do I have to provoke it somehow? Then PTT is open?

After terminating PTT, does Windows 10 Log-in during start-up change or anything else? Just asking, I don't want to lock me out.

I'm new to BIOS - I need a little help.

Thank you so much

Northeast

#9 Ashani2

Ashani2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

Before doing anything else, try updating your Intel drivers.  If that works, you can avoid the whole BIOS procedure.

If you've never gone into BIOS before, you must use your arrow keys to move from one setting to another.  Press enter after changing a setting.

Before disabling PTT function, if you use a PIN rather than a password to log onto your computer, change it to using a password instead.  I'm not sure that's necessary, but someone else that said you need to do that first, so I did it just to be on the safe side.  Without going into BIOS, just go to  your computer settings, then Accounts and change it to use a Microsoft account to sign in.

The BIOS does not automatically ask for a password unless you make one.  (Unless your particular computer happens to ask for one.  In that case, read your manual to find out what the default password is.  I've never had to do that on any of my computers).  Once in BIOS there's an option to disable to PTT function under Security.  If it's not grayed out, I would not bother making a BIOS password.  But if it's grayed out, you will not have the option to change the setting unless you make a password.   If you have to set a BIOS password in order to disable to PTT, be sure you type it exactly right.  Getting back into BIOS is not at all easy if you don't.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ashani2, 07 May 2018 - 08:21 PM.

#10 Northeast

Northeast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:17 AM

Dear Ashani:

Again, thank you for your guidance and patience.

I will check those procedures.

First the Intel drivers.

Best regards

Northeast.

#11 Northeast

Northeast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

Dear Ashani:

Today I got into the BIOS, but under all available tags, there is nothing

about PTT. Under Security these are my choices:

Admin Password

User Passw

Secure Boot

Platform Mode

Secure Boot Mode

Reset in Setup-Mode

Restore Factory Keys

Is it somewhere hidden?

I checked online with Lenovo support: My computer's BIOS-Version

seems to be current: 2MCN35WW(v6.2).

Sorry for asking: Which Intel drivers should I update?

Thank you again for spending your time with me.

Best regards

Northeast

#12 Ashani2

Ashani2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

I'm glad to help if I can.  I know how frustrating it is trying to fix something that shouldn't need to be fixed in the first place.   

Hmm.... you got me there.  If you click on Platform and/or Secure Boot Mode, do you see any options available?   I do know that some systems do not give the option to disable PTT, so it might not even show up.

Since your laptop is new, your drivers may all be up to date already, but you can go to Lenovo Technical Support https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/?menu-id=Technical_Support and click on Get Downloads under Drivers & Software.  Once there, you'll need to either type in your laptop's serial number or go down the list for laptops and find yours.  You'll have choices such as Drivers and Software, How to & Solutions, Diagnostics, etc.  Click on Drivers & Software.  You can look at the release dates for all of the drivers and update any drivers that have been released after you bought your computer.  Do not update the BIOS?UEFI.  Don't update BIOS unless you absolutely have to.  I know some people go ahead and update without any problems, but if it gets messed up, it can break things completely.  Even if it looks grayed out, click on Automatic Driver Update and it will scan your computer and get the latest available updates.  There are 4 Intel Drivers under Chipset.  There's one Intel driver under Display and Video Graphics.  I would update the Networking: LAN (Ethernet) as well.  The Networking: Wireless LAN has an Intel driver also.  

One person at Lenovo said that he got it solved by downloading and reinstalling the Intel® Management Engine Interface from lenovo support.

This problem has been around for quite a while now with not just Lenovo, but other brands as well.  Microsoft really needs to come up with a fix.

Let us know if anything worked in fixing it for you.

#13 Northeast

Northeast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

Dear Ashani:

Thank you so much for your advice. I'll work through this as outlined. It may

take a few days, since I'm very busy with my job right now. Fortunately, I use

the Lenovo computer only when I'm out of town.

Wish you well

Northeast.

#14 Northeast

Northeast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

Dear Ashani:

I visited the support site of Lenovo and triggered the Automatic Driver

Update. There was no update available.

But the WLAN Driver nevertheless had a more recent date so I updated that one on

my computer. I didn't touch BIOS.

The other four Intel Driver listed are older than my computer.

After that done yesterday, I started my computer three times and the

Task Manager didn't show Intel PTT.

I also looked into the Task Scheduler of my computer because I wanted to

stop the MS Compatibility Telemetry - and to my surprise I found under

Task Scheduler Library one entry: Intel PTT Recertification with the status

READY - what do you think, should I put it on DISABLE?

Wish you well and enjoy the weekend.

Northeast

#15 Ashani2

Ashani2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

Sorry.... Busy days and I just got back to this.  Now that's interesting.   I don't know that disabling the task will do much.  What is the description of the task?  

Do you have Intel Management and Security Application Local Management Service running in Services?  Some elsewhere suggesting disabling that and then opening an Admin command prompt and type the following: "SC delete LMS"  If you have that service running, try disabling it.  I'd wait and see if that helps before typing a command prompt deleting anything.

If you don't have that service running.....  When you go into BIOS, what options are available under each of these: Secure Boot, Platform Mode, and Secure Boot Mode?

Edited by Ashani2, 13 May 2018 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users