Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer Patches And Packages

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 codsmith

codsmith

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:24 AM

I was looking at my computer to clear some room on my HD and I came across C:\windows\installer folder and it contains 9.76GB of patches and stuff. I then looked at my girlfriends computer and she only had around 700MB of patches and packages. Is there any program that I can run to help clear up the un-needed patches or do I just have to do it manually. If so, what patches do I need to keep and which can I toss? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

It's unusual to have that much in your Installers subdirectory. Mine only has 171 mB of stuff in it.

I'd be very, very cautious if you want to delete them. If you want to see, you can always move (not copy) them to another location - then run your computer for a while to see if it causes any problems.

You may be able to identify some of the programs that they are associated with by scrolling through the files stored in the directory. In that case, try moving those folders and then using the affected program to see if it causes any issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:46 AM

When I put my cursor over each file they read

Type: Windows Installer Patch
Title: Office 2003, ........................; ALL

The majority of the files are .msp files and then I have a couple .msi and .mst and about 30 folders. Is there any program or list I can use to help clear up what I need and don't need? I don't just want to guess and check hundreds of files.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:16 AM

Patch Packages
A Windows Installer patch (.msp file) is a file used to deliver updates to Windows Installer applications. The patch is a self-contained package that contains all the information required to update the application. A patch package (.msp file) can be much smaller than the Windows Installer package (.msi file) for the entire updated application. For more information about delivering smaller updates to applications, see Reducing Patch Size.

A patch package contains the actual updates to the application and describes which versions of the application can receive the patch. Patches contain at minimum two database transforms. One transform updates the information in the installation database of the application. The other transform adds information that the installer uses for patching files. The installer uses the information provided by the transforms to apply patch files that are stored in the cabinet file stream of the patch package. A patch package does not have a database like an installation package (.msi file.)

Read the rest here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ch_packages.asp

Does your GF have the same version of Office 2003 that you do?

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:02 AM

Here's my generic "Can I safely delete these things?" procedure that I use on my system.

1) I make a folder on my desktop labelled something like "To Be Deleted"
2) I make notes in that folder about the locations of the files (in a text document)
3) I move (not copy) the files to the desktop folder.
4) I set a reminder in my calendar to remind me to check that folder in 2 weeks.
5) Then I continue to work on the system normally.
6) If problems pop up before the 2 weeks is up - I can easily restore the files to their proper location.
7) If there's no problems in 2 weeks, then I delete the files to the Recycle Bin.
8) If there's any errors in the next couple of weeks, the files are still in the Recycle Bin - so I can restore them if I need to.
9) If there's no problems, then the files are removed from the Recycle Bin by normal operations (First In, First Out) over time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:49 AM

Yes, I have the same version of office 2003 as my GF. Should I just delete my folder and copy heres to my computer?

I moved all those files to the desktop and have not encountered any problems. Will something popup and tell me if I have a problem?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

Either that, or you'll notice that something doesn't work. You can leave the files on the desktop for as long as you like - that way they'll always be there in case they're needed.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

You will find out if you have a problem as you use Office or when you check for updates.

#9 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:16 AM

I have moved them all and been running some different Office applications without problem. Should I just delete the whole folder that I moved and just get new and necessary updates from windows?

Edited by codsmith, 04 October 2006 - 12:17 AM.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:39 AM

I suggest you wait until you are certain you have no need for them.
Burn then to a cd just in case so you can access them if the need arises.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

Yes, wait at least 2 weeks (longer if you don't use special features very often). Also, you can burn them to CD (rather than deleting them) and that way you'll have a copy if you need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users