Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migrate SBS 2011 SBS/2012 Servers to new servers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 daverogers

daverogers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

Hi, I have taken over the 2 company servers and need to migrate them as they are old and have issues.

Both are used as file servers and hold a lot of data. So I intend to replace them with 2 new physical servers or maybe one with 2 VMs, but I think physical maybe better option.

Server 1 is a SBS 2011 with about 600GB of file data all on the C:\ drive :-), Exchange is not used as they have IMAP/POP3 (this will be going to o365 or cloud hosted exchange). It is used as a fileserver/dhcp/dns.

Server 2 Is running 2012 but looks like it was upgraded from SBS, it is used a file server and has about 400G of data on the C:\ drive, it also has DNS an is used as backup DC I assume.

I plan to 2 new servers and add them as DCs, one will be used for dhcp and dns, I assume I can add the dhcp (disabled) and make it live when the old server is offline.

Once data is moved from old servers to the 2 new ones or VM (though it's a lot of data to hold on a VM) I assume I have to un-install Exchange from the old SBS 2011 and run DCPROMO on the SBS 2011 and then turn it off?

I will be backing up using the FREE Veeam Agent (great bit of software BTW)

Am I missing anything re house keeping or critical tasks?

Many thanks in advance for any advice or direction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users