Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC lagging heavily periodically

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Erundil42

Erundil42

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hi, so i've been getting these random lags that last for a good minute or 2 at a time where literally everything just lags, dragging windows, typing, videos, it's like the whole pc slows down to 10fps then after a while it goes back to normal.

The weird thing is that i can't really tell what's causing it, i thought it was the new Firefox Quantum that i've installed but even if i use Chrome again it happens anyways, the temperatures are fine (CPU is at 40/45C when doing normal browsing/watching netflix), at first i thought that my cpu was just nearing its death, but even in the task manager the CPU usage rarely goes above 70% and during those lags it's usually between 40 and 70, memory is usually under 30% while browsing and the disks are fine, so i can't really tell what's causing this, even when i play games and the system is under stress everything is fine.

I was hoping to at least be able to put a patch on the problem until January when i'll be upgrading everything but the GPU, so does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this?

My CPU is an i7-4770k at 4,5Ghz and my GPU is a gtx1080 Strix, psu it's be quiet 750w, 16GB of corsair ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

Hello Erundil42,

Decent enough spec of hardware and the temps you mention look all good.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

#3 Erundil42

Erundil42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

There you go, http://speccy.piriform.com/results/n6sNziFSomRHPVuvgfaYqCa

oh and Windows Defender is disabled here because it was spiking pretty hard in CPU usage when loading web pages, but it it happens even if it's disabled

Edited by Erundil42, 10 December 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

Points of note in Speccy;

Windows is almost a year out of date, many of which are patches/fixes to resolve known issues.

There are a lot of missing and failed Defender updates, this puts you at risk of malware attack.

oh and Windows Defender is disabled here because it was spiking pretty hard in CPU usage when loading web pages, but it it happens even if it's disabled

The above will be because you also have MBAM on your computer and the two conflicting as they fight for resources, worse case scenario is they cancel each other out and you end up with no AV protection at all.

Antivirus
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Disabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
Malwarebytes
Antivirus: Enabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date

Is MBAM a paid for product or the free version.

#5 Erundil42

Erundil42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

MBAM i've installed it right before i took the snapshot, i just used the free version to check for malwares, i've already uninstalled it

And yeah Windows is out to date because my internet sucks, so i edited the register to make the ethernet connection limited, so windows wouldn't download updates in the backgrounds while i was playing, i always forget to check manually though, i'll let it download tonight

Edited by Erundil42, 10 December 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#6 Erundil42

Erundil42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

ok so it happened again right now, first time it happens when im actually playing, the FPS and ping count are fine, i'm getting almost 200fps and ping is 10, yet the whole screen looks like it's running at 10/15fps, i believe it's the CPU, it now goes to almost 100% usage while playing Path of Exile, it has never done this before, temps are between 65 and 70C, i still don't understand why this happens even when i'm just browsing internet or watching videos though, in those cases the cpu doesn't go over 50% usage

And it's not even a permanent thing, now the game is fine agian even if the usage is still >90%

Edited by Erundil42, 10 December 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#7 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

Would suggest you leave Windows updating overnight + have Defender carry out a full scan of the computer and check for updates, it is pointless trying to resolve computer issues when knowing that Windows is out of date, it is like knowing that there is one certain problem but ignoring it if that makes sense.

You can still do the following but I will be going offline soon as I have an early start in the morning;

Couple of suggestions, the first one is to post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

Download Process Explorer which you can get from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

This is why you always update.

Also if you have a SSD dont defrag it, only defrag your regular hard disks

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 December 2017 - 04:49 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users