Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

speedtest after reboot is good, after 2 minutes it get very slow

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zioyo

zioyo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

Hello! I m new in this forum..I read that you fixed lot of problems so I hope you can help me too. I already tried asking help in other forums but noone fixed my problem..

Before posting the problem I have to say: -I m talking about my laptop Lenovo Win10,

-I have a 50 Mega (Mbps) connection (50 Mbps= 6.25MB/s).

The problem is the speed of the network: if I start my computer and open a speedtest within 2 minuts, everything is fine: speed goes up to 50 Mbps, after those 2 min (more or less), if I run again the speed test, it wont go more than 1Mbps. Ping and upload are the same.

Utorrent seems to work always fine (it reach the download of 2/3/4 MB sometimes more).
When my pc goes this slow i tried do the speedtest on my phone (same router connection) and results are good (50 MB).

This is why I think i have something using my laptop connection, so i downloaded Net Limiter to see whats consuming bandwidth, but it shows only connections under 500 B/s

Watching videos on youtube is becoming very slow, downloading stuff from the internet wont go faster than 60/70 KB/s.

Any ideas on whats might causing this?
Thanks a lot for the support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zioyo

zioyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

edit. I m an idiot...I realized it s not my pc but the wifi
if i run a speedtest on different computers it gives the same bleepty results, exept for the smartphone...
but if I connect with ethernet cable everything is allright...
so what should i look on the router configuration to fix it? any suggestion would be appreciate

Ps in night the speed seems faster

#3 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:39 AM

So your smartphone is not connected to the router? You are accessing the WAN via the suppliers net interface, yes? ie 3G, 4G etc

Try going into your routers interface within a browser, and check that WiFi 'channel selection' is set to auto.

If you have manually selected the channel, change this to auto, and see if it helps!

Sounds as if the traffic on a particular channel you may have chosen is less late at night, which might explain any speed increase?

Edited by Replicator, 13 December 2017 - 02:43 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#4 zioyo

zioyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:25 AM

So your smartphone is not connected to the router? You are accessing the WAN via the suppliers net interface, yes? ie 3G, 4G etc

Try going into your routers interface within a browser, and check that WiFi 'channel selection' is set to auto.

If you have manually selected the channel, change this to auto, and see if it helps!

Sounds as if the traffic on a particular channel you may have chosen is less late at night, which might explain any speed increase?

Both my computer and my smartphone are connected to the same modem-router via wifi, the router has double bandwitdh (2,4Ghz and 5 Ghz).
My computer is connected to 2.4 GHZ and the smartphone to the 5 GHz. Speedtest on the smartphone is never a problem.
The wifi channel was set to auto before I changed it (hoping for improvement that never happened); my router has the option to scan all the wifi around me and see what channel they use, I set the 1 since noone was using it, as I said, no improvement.
I am afraid this is something bigger than me, the router comes from my provider (Vodafone) and I see lot of people having problems with WIFI, someone suggested to link an other router to the first (LAN to WAN), so I could use the wifi of the second router. I dont know how it s called in english (maybe "cascaded").
I tried it yesterday but it didnt work, my second router (Asus DSL N14U) was telling me: "no ethernet cable is connected". That model has 4 door behinde it, but noone is signed as Wan door, I m afraid I cant do that with this router.
I guess you can close this topic because I understand that those kind of problem can be solved only from the provider, even if they never do.
The only thing I could ask you is if you can double check if my second router (Asus dsl n14u) has that Wan door, because I cant find his box and his instructions, but on the website it says it has it (maybe a mistake?)

https://www.asus.com/it/Networking/DSLN14U/

Thanks anyway for the try

#5 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

The port you need should be color coded blue!

You should have all devices using the same frequency, and preferably, the same channel on the freq.

#6 zioyo

zioyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

The port you need should be color coded blue!

You should have all devices using the same frequency, and preferably, the same channel on the freq.

USB20.jpg

The only blue port i have is the adsl, and my ethernet cable doesnt fit in there, does that mean this router doesnt have a wan port?

#7 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:46 AM

Why dont you just set up the second router as an ethernet switch? This lets devices connect to the second router as normal, but does not create a subnetwork which you dont really need anyway.

For households simply looking to extend basic Internet access across a better router, plus file and printer sharing, this will work ok.

Just plug from normal ethernet switch (not wan) in router 1, to normal ethernet switch (not wan) on the new router.

Double Check the second router's local IP address and change it if necessary to ensure it is within the address range of the network as configured on the first router and not conflicting with any other device on the local network.

#8 zioyo

zioyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:44 AM

Why dont you just set up the second router as an ethernet switch? This lets devices connect to the second router as normal, but does not create a subnetwork which you dont really need anyway.

For households simply looking to extend basic Internet access across a better router, plus file and printer sharing, this will work ok.

Just plug from normal ethernet switch (not wan) in router 1, to normal ethernet switch (not wan) on the new router.

Double Check the second router's local IP address and change it if necessary to ensure it is within the address range of the network as configured on the first router and not conflicting with any other device on the local network.

I m gonna try that, but I havent understood something, if I do as you say, can I connect my devices with wifi to the second router (the switch)? Because I only connect with wifi, not with cable. And if it possible, can I connect only to the second router? or can I connect to both? Many thanks

#9 zioyo

zioyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

I did it! and it work! Many thanks! now it reach around 40/45 Mbps! Thanks again!!

#10 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

Nice work .....glad we could be of assistance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users