Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard power on

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 robobo

robobo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:23 AM

Replaced motherboard with Intel D945GCI. Now the keyboard will not power on until after post. So, I can't enter setup, BIOS. The keyboard is USB. I think there is a setting in BIOS, how can I enter setup without the keyboard? This is a great place to be.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

Hi,

I think you need to use temporarily an PS2 keyboard or an adapter like this

12-200-272-03.jpg

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

Look for a setting called USB Legacy

USB Legacy

Advanced > USB Configuration • Enabled • Disabled

USB Legacy support allows the BIOS to interact with a USB keyboard, and in limited cases, a USB mouse.

#4 hugeB

hugeB

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

With Fast Startup enabled, the keyboard will not power on during POSTING, so you cannot enter BIOS.

Either of the following will enable you to enter BIOS:

1. When the device is ON, disable Fast Startup, shut down the device, then power on the device.

2. When the device is ON, restart the device.

3. Whe the device is ON, press and hold the power button until the device is completely shutdown, then power on the device.

Edited by hugeB, 15 December 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#5 robobo

robobo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

I am really pleased with all the solutions I have received. I am positive I will solve the problem. First I have ordered a pair of the adapters/converters from Amazon. Should be here soon. This seemed to me to be the easiest. I am not lazy, just getting old.

#6 charlzden

charlzden

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:35 AM

Sounds like a plan. Keep us posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users