Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amd Athlon x4 860k bad heatspreader?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 Ty25

Ty25

• Banned
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:07 PM

I got a new cooler for my cpu the athlon x4 860k, I got the cooler master 612 v2. My idle temps are lower, but still high (40-50c) and it doesn't get better from there, under light load and under voltaged to 1.4250 my temps still exceed 80c. I am good with computers so I have resat the cooler with artic silver 5 and with the cooler master thermal paste that came with the cooler, with the same result though idle temps are lower with the cooler master stuff. Like I said I am good with computers so please so ask me if I put the thermal paste on correctly. I already emailed amd about my concern but I want to run it past you guys, do you think the thermal paste under the heat spreader could not be correctly applied? I think everyone can agree my temps are high but I know for a fact no one will agree on what could be causing the issue, so I want to try and prevent any "dumb questions" from being asked about how I applied the thermal paste and if I reused any ( I didn't, I am down 6 grams of artic silver) so I just want to say my cooler is mounted correctly and my thermal paste covers the whole cpu once I put my cooler on. So as I said before does anyone think its likely the issue is the thermal paste between the die and heatspeader?  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

You said not to ask any stupid questions about your application of thermal paste LOL, but you are a little unclear to how you did it IMO.  Just one question, you did not use Both of those Thermal Pastes together did you?

Did you follow THESE directions at the official site?

I don't believe Thermal Paste makes all that much difference, sure a little, and if you are overclocking or running lot's of processes, games etc. then it will help.  But you are experiencing this at idle! so I say no, this is not your problem.  I see tons of people on the web asking the same question as you.  Where are you reading these temps? 

Use this search query in google and see what you can find that is best for you.

"athlon x4 860k runs hot, is this normal"

Or

"amd athlon x4 860k overheating"

HERE is one link I liked the best, simple, and may be a good place to start for you.  I'll leave the two tools that they are suggesting to use for accurate temps.

CoreTempDownload

HWiNFO

Edited by pcpunk, 09 December 2017 - 09:58 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Ty25

Ty25
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

You said not to ask any stupid questions about your application of thermal paste LOL, but you are a little unclear to how you did it IMO.  Just one question, you did not use Both of those Thermal Pastes together did you?

I don't believe Thermal Paste makes all that much difference, sure a little, and if you are overclocking or running lot's of processes, games etc. then it will help.  But you are experiencing this at idle! so I say no, this is not your problem.  I see tons of people on the web asking the same question as you.  Where are you reading these temps? 

Use this search query in google and see what you can find that is best for you.

"athlon x4 860k runs hot, is this normal"

Or

"amd athlon x4 860k overheating"

HERE is one link I liked the best, simple, and may be a good place to start for you.  I'll leave the two tools that they are suggesting to use for accurate temps.

CoreTempDownload

HWiNFO

My bad if I left out a few things, would be worth noting you left out common sense in your post. However no I did not use both thermal pastes at the same time, and yes I play a lot of games and overclock, idle temps are from bios and 80c+ is what it does during a light load and I get the temp from cam as its the only program that tells me core temps. 

Edited by Ty25, 09 December 2017 - 09:59 PM.

#4 Ty25

Ty25
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:18 PM

Also, there is no incorrect way to put thermal paste on, as long as it covers the cpu enough and doesn't get on the socket you're good. I have no idea why you even brought that up. 

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:29 PM

would be worth noting you left out common sense in your post.

Well if you ask questions without common sense what do you expect?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

You really need to go through your install manual and double check all of the installation guide lines to be sure everything is done correctly. You can also get too much thermal paste and that will reduce the cooling too, follow your guide closely, usually you should not use more than a grain of Rice, but the guide could say otherwise

#7 Ty25

Ty25
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:44 PM

You really need to go through your install manual and double check all of the installation guide lines to be sure everything is done correctly. You can also get too much thermal paste and that will reduce the cooling too, follow your guide closely, usually you should not use more than a grain of Rice, but the guide could say otherwiseI don't agree, not saying you're

I don't agree, I am not saying your wrong, I am just saying coolers sit very close to the cpu so really if I were to put too much thermal paste on, it would just go over and get on the socket. 

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:58 PM

whatever, ain't my cpu running at 80c

#9 Ty25

Ty25
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:06 PM

whatever, ain't my cpu running at 80c

Well, this post was to see if the heat spreader could be the issue, not if you disagreed about my application of thermal paste, so before you go off on me about said thermal paste application can you please stay on topic?

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:42 PM

I already emailed amd about my concern but I want to run it past you guys, do you think the thermal paste under the heat spreader could not be correctly applied?

Talk about no common sense, you ask a question, and then state you don't want the answer to that question?  If you had common sense you would have looked into what I posted, applied them and then see what the outcome is?

( I didn't, I am down 6 grams of artic silver

Son, you need to check you ego, and be glad folks are here helping you for free!  I don't know how you would ever use 6 grams of AC!

Coverage Area:

A 3.5 gram syringe contains enough compound to cover at least 15 to 25 small CPU cores, or 6 to 10 large CPU cores, or 2 to 5 heat plates. At a layer 0.003" thick, the 3.5 gram syringe will cover approximately 16 square inches.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 Ty25

Ty25
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

I already emailed amd about my concern but I want to run it past you guys, do you think the thermal paste under the heat spreader could not be correctly applied?

Talk about no common sense, you ask a question, and then state you don't want the answer to that question?  If you had common sense you would have looked into what I posted, applied them and then see what the outcome is?

( I didn't, I am down 6 grams of artic silver

Son, you need to check you ego, and be glad folks are here helping you for free!  I don't know how you would ever use 6 grams of AC!

Coverage Area:

A 3.5 gram syringe contains enough compound to cover at least 15 to 25 small CPU cores, or 6 to 10 large CPU cores, or 2 to 5 heat plates. At a layer 0.003" thick, the 3.5 gram syringe will cover approximately 16 square inches.

Didn't think I had to spell it out for you, but since autism speaks let me spell it out for you...Down 6 grams of Artic Silver..Why? Because I resat the cpu cooling like 36 times, again didn't think I had to explain it but oh well! Like I said to the other mentally handy caped individual (unless that was you), stay on topic, if you don't have something to say about the problem at hand, don't speak! I could care less about how much thermal paste to use...I have no idea why I am even replying to this! Where the actually f did the amount of thermal paste it takes to cover a cpu come up?! Anything I say can and will be interpreted incorrectly but you see something completely off topic and you reply! Wow something shinny, why the hell do you have to reply to things that don't even pertain to the matter at hand? If you want to quote me I am sure I can pull something out of my ass of how it didn't change anything and why you shouldn't have complained about it. But you will have to point me to a sentence and not to a whole post, or else I won't see what you're complaining about. This post was to see if anyone else had real life instances where their cpu had a poor application of thermal paste under the heat spreader, not to explain how much thermal paste to use, you complain about what I say weather or not it has any place in this topic, if you want me to explain myself you will have to tell me what post, and what word or phrase triggered you or else I am stuck reading an article to figure out one word triggered someone. Thanks, again, for reminding me the world lacks common sense. 

#12 Ty25

Ty25
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:08 AM

Please, point me to where I asked a question about how to apply thermal paste, or whatever the hell you're talking about so I can explain. 
"Talk about no common sense, you ask a question, and then state you don't want the answer to that question?"

I said the thermal paste under the heat spreader, not the cpu cooler, so what and where did I ask a question about thermal paste other than under the heat spreader? I didn't ask for guidelines on how to put thermal paste on, or how much to put on, that is why I am a little salty about people post stuff here about thermal paste being anywhere other then under the heat spreader. 
If you're still unsure about what the hell I am talking about, my question.....could the thermal paste under the heat spreader be the issue....What do people reply with? Questions about how I applied the thermal paste or how I went through 6 grams or whatever else you guys can pull out of you asses. Ask AMD I didn't make the cpu!

#13 Ty25

Ty25
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:10 AM

So if someone here has a legit reply on maybe their cpu having thermal paste under the heat spreader issues then feel free to reply, but ask a dumb question expect me to care less. 

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:39 AM

Like I said to the other mentally handy caped individual (unless that was you)

Stop making rude and insulting responses to the volunteers who are taking the time to offer assistance to you. If you do not wish to abide by the rules of this forum, and don't lose the attitude, you may have your posts moderated, or be banned:

"There will be no racial, ethnic, gender based insults or any other personal discriminations. This will not be tolerated and can lead to immediate suspension."

"There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments."

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

First off, if you were "good with computers" you would have looked at what I took time to find for you, and yes I have done this many times.  Here are the directions for AC Application.  Just like Joe C told you, one dot about the size of a rice grain.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/appmeth/amd/md/amd_app_method_middle_dot_v1.3.pdf

A good answer in my opinion is the second post at this link as I showed you in my first post:

https://community.amd.com/thread/196627

Then I provided you with the Tools they spoke of at that Link.  This one WAS the direct download, but here is the main site.  I suggest you use this tool to see if your temps are actually high, and are not being incorrectly read, or in a format you don't understand.  If you need help ask.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

This is the other

https://www.hwinfo.com/

I don't know what a "heat spreader" is, other than the heatsink and the attached fins.  Is that what you are talking about, the Heatsink?  I suppose it is called by both names.

Heatsink vs Heatspreader

http://www.adl-usa.com/faq/2-whats-the-difference-between-a-heat-sink-and-a-heat-spreader/

Edited by pcpunk, 10 December 2017 - 10:40 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users