Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Put Bootable Win 10 on External

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PickleRiiick

PickleRiiick

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:04 PM

Short and Sweet: Need to put something bootable onto a blank hdd that ultimately leads to the install of windows 10.

I am working on the hdd for my pc. I am USING my MAC throughout this entire process.

The hdd on my pc died. I purchased a new exact model of the hdd. I am trying to put Windows 10 on it. I have an ISO of Windows 10 install available from Microsoft. The Microsoft ISO is for all versions of Win 10 and works for both 32 and 64-bit installs. BIOS only allow to boot from: HDD; Network; FDD. There are no additional BIOS settings that allow for USB to be a bootable option. There is no optical drive on the pc, nor a floppy drive. Not especially talented at command line and using a mac, I don't want to attempt network boot/installation. Flustered and flabbergasted about what to put on the hdd that WILL be going in my pc but for NOW is an external drive on my mac. 

HDD formatted ExFAT. The ISO from windows is not booting. The copy/paste of the entire ISO's contents does not boot. I have Win 10 running on VM on Parallels. I've tried to install ADK onto VM, but have no experience with this software. I successfully installed the PE, only that it installed on my VM, I had no option to install the PE on the external. No luck there.

I looked into installing Ubuntu and then installing windows, but that too uses a CD or flash bootable install. It does not matter how circuitous, can someone please help me in installing Win 10 on my blank hdd?

Much Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

Probaly best as a start point to Post the Make and Model of the PC / Laptop ?

Did it have Win 10 on before ? and is it compatable or meets the requirements.

How old is it , not having USB support at Boot / or a Dvd Drive , can one be installed or portable used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users