Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Good is an M.2 Card on a System?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:54 PM

What I want to believe is I can upgrade any mobo with an m.2 card in the PCI-E slot, and suddenly it's a nice performer, but....

....not going to happen I assume. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

The board has to be able to boot from PCIe, so it depends on the board

Edited by Joe C, 09 December 2017 - 09:36 PM.

#3 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:36 AM

How can you tell if it can boot from PCIe?

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:13 AM

Check the specs and read the manual that came with the board. 

If you no longer have that you can go to the board manufacture and download the manual from there, they will list the specs from their web site.

You can also try googling it: "Board Name  Model xxx-XX  bootable from pcie" or some thing like that

Edited by Joe C, 10 December 2017 - 07:16 AM.

#5 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:20 AM

Okay.  

1.  But even if it can be booted from the PCIe slot, is that going to allow data to transfer through it fast enough to see gains worth it?  

2.  How about optane?  I assume that if I simply add an optain card to a PCIe slot, that will add speed to an HDD setup which is cheaper than an M.2 solution.  

3.  What do you all suggest I do in order to probably run tests myself?  What is the suggested boot up and stress test to figure out the differences between between different hardware setups?  

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users