Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Browser Hijack and/or compromised web site

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BobDouglas

BobDouglas

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

When I visit a particular web site that I created, I get forwarded to malicious sites that are blocked by Avira's browser protection.  (Windows 10).

private-friendlyappz-com is one of them.

This only happens in Chrome, not IE or Firefox. In those, I see the site normally.

MalwareBytes reports nothing.

The registry is pointing to the original hosts file, which is empty except for the original comments.

It's my own web site and I can't find anything unusual there, so since it only happens in Chrome, I assume it's a browser hijack though I'm afraid I might have picked it up on my own site, since it appeared right after visiting it.

HijackThis analysis reports a number of suspicious lines, but most of them look like normal processes that it doesn't know about and they don't appear to be browser-related.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Reset Chrome...
Click on "Customize and control Google Chrome":
p22003758.gif
Click "Settings" then "Show advanced settings" at the bottom of the screen.
Click "Reset browser settings" button.
Restart Chrome.

If the above didn't help....

Reinstall Chrome...
If you want to save your bookmarks...
How to Backup Bookmarks in Google Chrome
If you want to save your passwords as well see here: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-backup-saved-passwords-in-google-chrome-browser/

• Close all Chrome windows and tabs.
  • Go to the Start menu > Control Panel. (Windows 8 users: Learn how to access the Control Panel)
  • Click Programs and Features.
  • Double-click Google Chrome.
  • Click Uninstall from the confirmation dialog. Delete your user profile information, like your browser preferences, bookmarks, and history, by selecting the "Also delete your browsing data" checkbox.

Install fresh copy.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 BobDouglas

BobDouglas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I was hesitant to do that for fear that it would wipe out my cookies and browser cache. Does it? And if so, is there any way to save them?

Losing the cookies would make things very complicated for a while.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

See here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cookiestxt/njabckikapfpffapmjgojcnbfjonfjfg?hl=en

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 BobDouglas

BobDouglas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

Thanks!! Donation on the way. :)

#6 BobDouglas

BobDouglas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:44 PM

Cookies.txt wil export cookies, but as far as I can tell, it won't import them. Any suggestions on restoring them?

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:59 PM

Try this one: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/editthiscookie/fngmhnnpilhplaeedifhccceomclgfbg

...and thank you for your donation :)

My Website

#8 BobDouglas

BobDouglas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:51 PM

Sadly, EditThisCookie won't import cookies from cookies.txt. It wants them in JSON format. I assumed that cookies.txt would be able to import its own cookies (otherwise what's the point of exporting them?).

I have over 3,000 cookies, so putting them in by hand isn't an option.

I might be able to write a script that converts the file to JSON, but I'm not sure what the format would be.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:54 PM

Using the above addon you can export them in JSON format and then import after resetting Chrome.

My Website

#10 BobDouglas

BobDouglas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Yes, that would have worked if I hadn't exported them with cookies.txt, then reset the browser settings.  :(

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:31 PM

I see. Another one to try: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cookies/iphcomljdfghbkdcfndaijbokpgddeno?hl=en
it imports cookies but it doesn't say anything about file format. You'll have to try it.

It has a free trial.

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users