Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backsourcing Online Video Files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dreidrag790

dreidrag790

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

Hello, Bleeping Computer! I've got a doozy for you today, especially since Yahoo Answers and Microsoft Answers were not very helpful on the subject so far. :deadhorse:

You may visit the above links if you'd like (the latter is more detailed on the subject than the former), but to summarize what I'm after, I am trying to find a way to trace a video file downloaded to my computer back to the URL from which it had been downloaded. For years, I had been in use of a downloaded from Real Networks, but the files it downloads changes the name of the file, making it hard to remember where I got them from. Simply doing an online search for the changed file name doesn't do the job, and performing a right-click to view Properties or MediaInfo doesn't display the files' information in such detail. I brought the topic to the attention of Real Networks through their own community forum, but no such luck.

I don't know if I explained this in the best way, based on how little help I've gotten from other forums, but if anyone's got any good tips or tricks to help me out, feel free to say something!

Thanx in advance for any helpful replies!

:alien:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:26 PM

Have you tried searching on YouTube ?  Virtually every video that goes on the webs winds up there. Even if you can't remember the original name you can surely remember the subject.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 dreidrag790

dreidrag790
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

Have you tried searching on YouTube ?  Virtually every video that goes on the webs winds up there. Even if you can't remember the original name you can surely remember the subject.

Chris Cosgrove

Oh, hello again, Chris Cosgrove! Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I decided to give it a try, but no such luck. Besides, YouTube deletes videos on a regular basis anyway, and once a video is gone from YouTube, it's almost impossible to find it anywhere else in its own right unless it gets reposted or something.

I know, the subject is a bit tricky, which probably explains why I couldn't get much help anywhere else I've gone to so far, but I'm trying to take the video files I've already downloaded, and seeing if there is some type of program or software that can display where on the Internet it came from. For instance, if I have a video file that had its name changed by the downloader, I'm trying to find something that can say that "Cute Animal Parade sequence" came from the URL "https://c45.smisionmedia.net/7ds/media/C456hsfn330t5/v26206.flv"

Of course, the example above is an exaggeration, but that's the gist of what I'm after. I assume that the computer retains some type of information on where a video or image file came from on the Internet once you click "Save File As," and I'm hoping to learn of how to see it for myself. Searching YouTube or searching the changed title is the obvious way to go, but for a common file name like "Jump Shot Trick" or "Coolest Thing Ever," it's hopeless to pinpoint the exact file you want. Not to mention, I've already tried a right-click on the files to see "Properties" and "MediaInfo" to look for that information on the files, with no luck.

Not a bad tip, but I assume to find what I'm after won't be so simple. It certainly hasn't been since I began asking.

But thanks for the suggestion, Chris...any other takers?

- dreidrag790

#4 dreidrag790

dreidrag790
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:06 PM

Happy New Year, Bleeping Computer!

Hope to finally get this topic resolved in 2018, as I hope all of you have each of your computer problems solved this year!

- dreidrag790

#5 dreidrag790

dreidrag790
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

Just for everyone's consideration, you could also click on the "Microsoft Answers" link in the original message; during the standstill in responses, I did some schlepping and included a number of search terms and possible links to assorted pieces of software that might claim to serve my purposes.

Of course, if you know how to do such a thing without new software, I'd like to hear how such a thing could be done...feel free to reply whenever such an idea comes to you, and I'll glance it over.

Thanks a bunch!

- dreidrag790

#6 dreidrag790

dreidrag790
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

I know, the subject is a bit tricky, which probably explains why I couldn't get much help anywhere else I've gone to so far, but I'm trying to take the video files I've already downloaded, and seeing if there is some type of program or software that can display where on the Internet it came from. For instance, if I have a video file that had its name changed by the downloader, I'm trying to find something that can say that "Cute Animal Parade sequence" came from the URL "https://c45.smisionmedia.net/7ds/media/C456hsfn330t5/v26206.flv"

Of course, the example above is an exaggeration, but that's the gist of what I'm after. I assume that the computer retains some type of information on where a video or image file came from on the Internet once you click "Save File As," and I'm hoping to learn of how to see it for myself.

Ideally, I'd like for someone to share with me a way to trace a file back to its URL by using the internal data within my system somehow, without having to resort to new software or something to that effect, but I'm open to whatever would work. I'm not horribly nitpicky about the "how," but I would like to accomplish this as inexpensively as possible.

Clearly, this seems to be a harder request than I though, since very few people between three online sources have bothered to provide any input on the matter, but I haven't given up on figuring this out...and I hope you haven't, either.

As always, thanx in advance for any helpful replies!

- dreidrag790

All invitations are open for my other threads as well!

#7 dreidrag790

dreidrag790
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/7adc05e6-9a15-4c03-8bcd-6ff31b6ddd33?upload=true

If only I could include the full-size photo directly onto a forum post...

Perhaps a visual aid might be useful in this instance, so feel free to click the above link to get an idea of what I am after: pictured within is a screen capture of a Google Chrome add-on which provides a source URL for a website's content, such as photos, video, and the like. It's very helpful nowadays, but a number of the files I got before acquiring this Chrome add-on don't have a way to display where they resided at the time I got them.

I understand the issue is a bit complex, but I'm sure someone can understand what I'm trying to do and can offer some way for me to reverse-engineer such files. It doesn't matter if the means is manual, or would require software that isn't directly available on my computer at the present time, but if there's a way that you may know of, I'd like to hear it. Thanks :-)

- dreidrag790

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users