Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Crash Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

Windows XP

Whenever I type a URL directly into the address line my IE crashes and forces me to exit.

I can access any site via a search engine, usually Yahoo, I just cannot type an address in directly.

I am not sure exactly when this started, maybe a month or two ago, and have not done anything to try and fix it yet. I run Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and Avast anti-virus. The Avast has only been on for a couple weeks, and this problem pre-dates its installation. I used Norton before that.

Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:17 AM

In my opinion, IE has more bugs than the Orkin man,and this just seems to be one of those bugs. I gave up on IE long ago because of stupid little bugs like these. I'd suggest switching to anotehr browser-like perhaps Firefox. You might try the new version of IE, if you don;t have it already. I haven't tried it yet, so I don;t know wheter they've managed to exterminate all the bugs or not.

Also, for future reference, this is the windows 95/98*Grinler forum. :thumbsup:

Edited by Gary335, 26 September 2006 - 12:17 AM.

#3 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:49 AM

In my opinion, IE has more bugs than the Orkin man,and this just seems to be one of those bugs. I gave up on IE long ago because of stupid little bugs like these. I'd suggest switching to anotehr browser-like perhaps Firefox. You might try the new version of IE, if you don;t have it already. I haven't tried it yet, so I don;t know wheter they've managed to exterminate all the bugs or not.

Also, for future reference, this is the windows 95/98*Grinler forum. :thumbsup:

I thought I was in the right forum, but I guess not. I'll repost in the right forum. Thanks.

I've tried Firefox, and didn't like it, hence my question.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:21 AM

Even though you posted this in W98 we still want to help you.

The following Microsoft Knowledgebase article may help:

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/en-us

You may want to try the new IE7 although it's still a beta, although in its last configuration until official release which means it should be stable.

You can download it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 September 2006 - 06:23 AM.

#5 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:07 AM

After re-reading my first response I think it may have come off as snarky. I didn't mean for it to be, so if it did, I apologize. Thanks for the suggestions, btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users