Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which SSD Brands are Bad?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

I'm looking at discount SSD on newegg, and I don't which brands are a waste of money. 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StrygwyrBS

StrygwyrBS

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

I like the Samsung brand. I just got the 850 EVO and it's snappy. My brother put the same one in his laptop about 2 years ago and it's working well still. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw though. Even if you buy a good brand, it's inevitable that some HDDs or SSDs will die only after about a year of use. The Samsung SSD's come with warranties for that though. There's a 5 year and 10 year. The 850 PRO has the 10 year and slightly better specs

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

SSD's almost tripled in price last winter because of the demand for the chips; but, the only real caveat I have found is to watch out for older models. They had a much shorter lifespan and much slower speeds.
All of the name brand SSD's are OK.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

SSD's almost tripled in price last winter because of the demand for the chips; but, the only real caveat I have found is to watch out for older models. They had a much shorter lifespan and much slower speeds.
All of the name brand SSD's are OK.

I wouldn't know the older models I guess.  How many years back?  

Also I'm trying to get under the name brand prices, and I'm not even sure which are name brand and not.  

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

No SSD brand is bad, all are about the same.

Dont worry if you are going to buy a new drive as most older drives would have low drive space anyhow.

What is your budget?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#6 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

No SSD brand is bad, all are about the same.

Dont worry if you are going to buy a new drive as most older drives would have low drive space anyhow.

What is your budget?

Well I'm trying to make a buck you know by buying computers and laptops that need a little work, and I'll offer the upgrade to give it all of the rendering speed that people want, so I'm kind of doing the sam walton by sourcing everything that is cheap and quality.  

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

Well if you need a good base I would aim for something from either Kingston, PNY, Sandisk, Mushkin or Adata.

All these brands make good SSD's for reasonable prices.

Adata is normally a decent budget brand for SSD's

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#8 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=laptop%20ssd&page=1&bop=And&PageSize=36&order=PRICE

I was thinking for the breakneck budget laptop I could pull a drive caddy for the DVD bay, and put a cheap HDD in there with one of these cheapy SSD's for start up and maybe a few programs.  Then if they want to upgrade, they come back for a quick upgrade. 

But by the time you get to the bottom of this page and the top of the next page the SSD prices for the amount of GB is not bad in my opinion.  What do you think? 

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

I would not go for a cheap Chinese brand like this

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#10 StrygwyrBS

StrygwyrBS

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Well if you need a good base I would aim for something from either Kingston, PNY, Sandisk, Mushkin or Adata.

All these brands make good SSD's for reasonable prices.

Adata is normally a decent budget brand for SSD's

My Adata SSD lasted 6+ years :D 

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

They will fib a bit; but, look for the models that say they give over 500MBps and shy away from the KingSpec or KingDian brands. Dealing with China for a warranty problem can be no fun!
Don't try to put Windows and Office on anything smaller than about 120GB. Most users will be fine with a 240+ for everything and you won't need to use the second caddy/drive if you ask them what they use the unit for.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820177029&cm_re=laptop_ssd-_-20-177-029-_-Product

Edited by DavisMcCarn, 09 December 2017 - 05:16 PM.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#12 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

Thanks.   :thumbup2:

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:15 PM

I agree with the others here, and you will need to spend more than that for a decent one.  Sandisk, PNY, Samsung I have all of these and they are a pretty decent brand, but you won't get them for 20.00!

Those drives look to be for a Netbook, or for Temp File Storage.  Some of the 32's may hold an OS, but not much more.  If trying to make a buck, you may be better off getting a cheap HDD for the same money.  Especially if these are older laptops.  Some people want storage space and don't care about super speed, you need at least 120GB model at the very least.  If people want super speed they will go out and get a new or Modern pc.

Bestbuy

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users