Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bing storing my search history in the cloud

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bastille Day

Bastille Day

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:58 PM

Anyone know if Firefox stores your search history in the cloud?

I just checked my search history on the my MSN browser and saw this, "Manage my search history that's in the cloud".

In my opinion, these people have no business uploading all my search history.

As well, google is my home page but every time I add a page, it defaults to MSN.

Any way to avoid this, different computer?

I am running windows 8.1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

Use incognito mode in Chrome, Private mode in Firefox, ect.

#3 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for that, I will change to Firefox.

Do you know how to access the msn cloud they are referring to?

I'm not even sure I have an MSN account, I don't use their email service.

I would really like to see for myself what they are intercepting from my computer.

Thanks again

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:51 PM

In Firefox you can set it to never remember history, I am not sure if you can in Chrome. There is a setting in Chrome 'Clear my history from the beginning of time' but I would have to check if that means it doesn't save history or you have to invoke this control to delete history. I don't use Chrome very often !

One thing I would like to clear up - you don't have 'the MSN browser'. You are using Microsoft's Internet Explorer with the default home page of MSN set. If you don't like the MSN page you can change it through 'Settings - Internet options' to any web page you prefer, or to a blank page. As for searching your 'history stored in the cloud' if you saw this setting then there should be a button allowing you to do this or at least give you information on how to do it.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for that, everything is being moved to the Firefox browser.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

Do you sign in to your computer with a Microsoft Account or do you have a local account? If a Microsoft Account login to the below page and see if your bing history is listed.

https://account.microsoft.com/account/bing

#7 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

I assume I am I signing in on the Lenovo platform that came with my computer.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,636 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

I don't know how Lenovo sets up their accounts on an OEM with Windows 8. You can attempt to login to that page with your User name and password. If it fails then you possibly have only a local account though I don't know why Windows would mention your history in the cloud if the account was local.

#9 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

It's right there on the Bing search page, right under web search > "Manage my search history that's stored in the cloud".

I went to do this and had to sign in to a Microsoft account which on the same page states > Stay in control of your privacy > Sign in to Microsoft to view and clear the data that Microsoft saves to the cloud.

So I am suppose to stay in control of my privacy after they violated it, by signing on to a Microsoft account.

I was suspicious a few years ago while using the new printer at the library that every document sent to the printer, goes to Microsoft first.

I know this because one day the printer did not print a document, I walked over to it and there was a Microsoft error message.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,636 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

Were you able to access your history via the page I linked to? If you don't want to use a Microsoft Account you can change over to a local account on the computer.

You should have at least one local account so you can login to it if something happens to the Microsoft account.

The below link explains the process if you login to your computer using a Microsoft Account.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/switch-local-account-windows-8-1/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users