Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Reboot Repair Loop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zacharialewis0112

zacharialewis0112

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

To give full story; I've purchased a new laptop and have decided to sell my home built PC. When i came to cleaning the PC of all my files etc, i was running into some difficulties. I tried to reinstall Windows 10 and remove all files but i kept running into errors, the PC would say "there was a problem reinstalling Windows 10" and would fail. After this i entered through the boot menu just after powering on, i then selected the option to Repair during restarting. This has now trapped me in a situation where, my computer starts, says it's diagnosing, attempting to repair and ultimately fails, when i try to go through and select the option to continue to Windows 10, it just restarts the process.

Some pre-existing problems i've had which may be contributing, my OS is loaded onto my SSD and i have 3 other additional HDDs, i could never get the PC to boot from SSD so have to enter boot menu and manually select SSD everytime i used to power on.

I hope someone can help me as im at a loss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

Download the latest version of the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 and create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive if you do not have a Windows 10 DVD or USB.

Pull the data cables of all the drives except the one you will be installing Windows to, the SSD. I am assuming all your personal data on the drive is backed up as the drive will be wiped.

Boot the Windows 10 install media. At the screen where it asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt window. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk               You should only see one disk, disk 0 if all drives except one is detached.

select disk 0

clean all              This will zero wipe the drive. It will be finished when you see the command prompt again.

convert gpt          This command is only necessary if your motherboard is UEFI and not legacy BIOS.

exit 

exit

Continue with the install. When you see the Window showing your drive click next. Windows will automatically partition and format the drive for Windows 10. After your computer boots successfully to Windows 10 shut down and attach the other drives. You can zero wipe the other drives using the same diskpart clean all command but you must select the correct disk number for each drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users