Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Our Poor Canadian Border Guards ...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:33 PM

Yesterday, our border crossing between Canada and the States was closed at Blaine. Why? Because the border had been warned that a armed and dangerous person may be heading towards the crossing - and for their own safety, the Canadian Border Crossing Guards left. (And who could blame them!).

While I don't own a gun - nor feel any need to own one - I think of Border Guards much like Police Officers. There are bad guys out there and with the very real threat to security, etc, how odd that we Canadians seem to feel our Guards should remain unarmed.

Does make me wonder about our own National Security - and I may even have to stop gritting my teeth when many American news stations keep maintaining that Canada offers little protection or prevention when it comes to the possibility that 'bad guys' enter the States through Canada. Sigh.

(Personal note to Moderators ... I am unsure if posting two new topics in one day is frowned upon - if it is, please be kind enough to just let me know. Thanks!).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:24 AM

Yes Mara. That does appear to be a bit 'head in the sand'. Where you have land borders, it would seem to be common sense to beef up your security as much as possible. The 'bad guys' are pretty sure to be armed.

Here in NZ where we are totally surrounded by ocean, no one openly carries arms but they are readily available to the police if an occasion calls for them.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:32 AM

Hi Rowal,

I actually wasn't even aware that Police in New Zealand didn't carry arms (sort of like England, I guess). Here, our Police do - and oddly enough, even our Transit Police (not actually Police Officers per se) carry guns now. So to have our poor Border Guards unarmed - eek!

Completely off topic here, but in ratio to population, very few Canadians have guns - except the gangs and other bad guys. So when our Federal Government put out an 'Amnesty' asking everyone to turn in guns, it may have sounded like a great idea but surely wasn't. The program literally cost millions to implement and even then only some of the good guys turned in their guns, of course. Still can't quite get my mind around the Government's theory/dream that the 'bad guys' would do it too - duh! Gentle sigh.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:59 AM

Hi Mara.

Yes well, dreams are free. Does tend to make you wonder what the powers that be are thinking sometimes. Perhaps they are just looking for the best in us all - nice thought.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users