Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 BSOD, then hard drive acts strange

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thatcluelessguy

thatcluelessguy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:57 PM

I was using my 2 month old Windows 7 installation, when it blue screened. The error was something to do with the kernel, and then it restarted. Then, it would no longer boot, hanging on a black screen. Then, strange things happened. Any attempt to access the drive from another computer by using a USB SATA adapter made the Windows Explorer window freeze. In addition, when I used my Windows 7 flash drive, it was stuck on a cursor and a black screen. Taking out the hard drive after a shutdown let the Windows 7 USB boot perfectly fine. What do I do? I was setting up Windows backup when it crashed, and I need it to start up again. I cant spend another week reinstalling windows and then reinstalling my software, drivers, and recustomising everything.

Laptop that the BSOD happened on:

Dell Inspiron 15-3552
Intel Celeron N3050 @ 1.60GHZ
4 GB DDR3L RAM
250GB Western Digital Scorpio (NOT original hard drive, the original has Windows 10 and starts up but has lots of issues and could use a reinstall)

No logs because the hard drive corrupted itself or something like that

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:14 AM

Sounds like a failing hard drive if you connect it to another PC via usb and it stalls or freezes.

You made need to run some tests on it or try adding it to the PC directly and boot and see if same issue occurs.

If it still fails you could try from the command prompt { Run as Admin } type cmd { enter } then chkdsk /r { enter } and see what shows up.

Reinstalling Windows 7 only takes couple hrs tops then Config as you need , and Updates / Programs / AV / and final cleanup temps etc another 4hrs and done.

You can then install Acronis or Macrium Reflect to do a C:\ Drive - IMAGE and save on a 2nd partition or an External Drive,

Then you wont have an issue next time it falls over or fails , Acronis takes me 12min on my laptop to reload Image { 500g Samsung Evo SSD - 30G / C:\Drive }.

Actually C:\ Drive only holds Operating System and Programs { 80G } and D:\ Drive - Data holds the rest { 380G }. ....HP G6 Pavilion.

Edited by Havachat, 09 December 2017 - 05:16 AM.

#3 thatcluelessguy

thatcluelessguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:03 AM

OK, Ill go run some tests. Actually, I would have installed Windows 7 on the original hard drive (500 GB), but its almost full, so Ill need to copy some stuff off and shrink the main partition to make another one.

#4 thatcluelessguy

thatcluelessguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:17 AM

I ran some BIOS hard drive diagnostics on a spare Dell Dimension PC I had lying around, and it reported Return Code 7, or hard drive fail. I guess Ill just get to resintalling.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

Reinstalling may just produce the same issues if the drive is failing , if it does replace the drive.

Id just get another drive and reinstall , others here at BC may suggest longer tests and some logs to look at , but that depends on time spent doing so for possibly the same result. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users