Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Shuts down during gaming

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 StrygwyrBS

StrygwyrBS

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:37 PM

Hello and thank you for your interest in my issue. I have been helped by extremely knowledgeable people on this forum before. So thank you in advance!

Specs

CPU: Intel i7 2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5 GHZ

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Driver: Version 388.59)

RAM: Corsair 16GB (8 x 2) DDR3

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS installed) There are 2 other disks for media files and games

PSU: Sparkle Computer Gold Class 1000W

Model: GW-EPS1000DA (90+)

Games that cause the issue

Blizzard's Diablo III

The Elder Scrolls v: Skyrim SE

I will try to replicate the issue while playing other games.

The Problem

I recently did a fresh install of the OS on the SSD mentioned above. My old SSD finally gave out after about 6+ years. While playing Diablo III my GPU will randomly shut off the audio/video (HDMI) feed. The only way I can get the audio/video back is to do a hard shutdown and reboot. Unfortunately, I don't know how to activate the HDMI port from the motherboard which could use the CPU's power. That would allow me to investigate what's going on with the computer instead of rebooting. Therefore, the computer itself is obviously still running when the GPU shuts off. Could possibly be the result of overheating. It is fan cooled, not liquid. I think that's all the important details I can think of. Again, thanks for your interest in my problem. If you can think of more pertinent information for me to provide please drop a comment.

Edited by StrygwyrBS, 09 December 2017 - 04:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

Hello StrygwyrBS,

Can you post the brand and model name or number details of your PSU.

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan from here and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

#3 StrygwyrBS

StrygwyrBS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

Let me know if you need more GPU information

Attached Files

Edited by StrygwyrBS, 09 December 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

Temps are ok but you are missing important voltage readings from the PSU.

The voltage to the VCore is high for a computer not under any load + one of the cores on the CPU is spiking in your Speedfan screenshot.,

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Can you post the brand and model name or number details of your PSU.

Can you also post this for us.

#5 StrygwyrBS

StrygwyrBS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

PSU information updated on original post 

See attached for BIOS details

Edit: Replicated the "crash" playing Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim SE

On startup the wireless USB dongle had to be unplugged/replugged to work. It's weird but I've always had issues with my USB ports on this computer. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

Got the following new message on startup:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode: 116
  BCP1: FFFFFA8011C74010
  BCP2: FFFFF8800FA83BA0
  BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
  BCP4: 0000000000000004
  OS Version: 6_1_7601
  Service Pack: 1_0
  Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\120917-8845-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Paladin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-13509-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Attached Files

Edited by StrygwyrBS, 09 December 2017 - 04:06 PM.

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for the additional info  :thumbup2:

The following are only observations and things to consider as possible causes.

PSU is potentially seven years old and two years out of warranty so could be showing signs of it`s age.

Same high CPU voltage showing in the BIOS, has the CPU ever been overclocked.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to activate the HDMI port from the motherboard which could use the CPU's power. That would allow me to investigate what's going on with the computer instead of rebooting

For the onboard graphics to work the add on video card has to be removed from the MB as the BIOS automatically disables the onboard video when the presence of an add on card is detected, this regardless of whether or not the add on video card is working, some newer boards will allow this to be changed in the BIOS.

We can only look at the GPU problem in this thread so as not going off topic, what I would suggest;

Restore the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS (F5 Optimized Defaults) unless there is a fault somewhere else this should set the VCore to what it should be.

Test your add on video card with Valley benchmark (Free) which you can download from here

If the problem persists, remove the add on video card** then test the computer using the onboard graphics solution.

** Let us know if you need a guide for doing this.

#7 StrygwyrBS

StrygwyrBS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the additional info  :thumbup2:

Same high CPU voltage showing in the BIOS, has the CPU ever been overclocked.

I tend to over-explain things. Luckily that's perfect for computer troubleshooting.

As far as I know the cpu hasn't been overlocked. It was supposed to be overclocked from the factory (it's what I paid for) but it didn't. 

However, I did overheat the cpu several times years ago because I did not know that you have to routinely remove dust from the 

push-pull fans and the "radiator" of a liquid cool heat-sink solution. lol I didn't know you should probably replace the thermal paste

every so often too. It would not surprise me if the overheating caused some permanent damage.

#8 StrygwyrBS

StrygwyrBS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

For the onboard graphics to work the add on video card has to be removed from the MB as the BIOS automatically disables the onboard video when the presence of an add on card is detected, this regardless of whether or not the add on video card is working, some newer boards will allow this to be changed in the BIOS.

Thank you for that info. Was always curious about that and never looked it up!

We can only look at the GPU problem in this thread so as not going off topic, what I would suggest;

Restore the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS (F5 Optimized Defaults) unless there is a fault somewhere else this should set the VCore to what it should be.

Okay I'll give this a try right now.

Test your add on video card with Valley benchmark (Free) which you can download from here

If the problem persists, remove the add on video card** then test the computer using the onboard graphics solution.

I've never actually removed the graphics card before. Is there anything special I should know?

And lastly, should I start another thread  (in the appropriate section) to investigate the cause of the BSOD?

Edited by StrygwyrBS, 10 December 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#9 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

I didn't know you should probably replace the thermal paste every so often too.

Just as well as ordinarily you don`t, most thermal compound if applied correctly and if of good quality will most often last the lifetime of the computer, there are obviously circumstances that would change this such as extreme overclocking and hardware malfunction.

I see you have just post again so will leave this reply as is now.

#10 StrygwyrBS

StrygwyrBS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

Restored to defaults (F5) in bios

Attached Files

#11 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

Notice the drop in the voltage to the VCore, depending on how long the voltage has been so high the CPU may have been damaged, all you can do for now is see how it goes, if the same problem happens when you run Valley benchmark, remove the add on video card and use the onboard video chip, excuse the title but please use the guide here to help with removing the card

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page.  

#12 StrygwyrBS

StrygwyrBS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the benchmark program to work. See attached. Any suggestions?

Edit: I tried uninstall/reinstall once. Same error occurred. 

Edit2: I did some research. Going to install the following:

Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013

Edit 3: Okay it worked, nevermind. I will test now.

Attached Files

Edited by StrygwyrBS, 10 December 2017 - 03:53 PM.

#13 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

You are missing c++ Redistributable packages that are needed for the software to work.

#14 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

Thanks softwaremaniac  :thumbup2:

Not seen this with Valley before StrygwyrBS, have another option to try but lets have a look at what you have installed Windows/update wise etc.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

#15 StrygwyrBS

StrygwyrBS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

Okay I did a benchmark test on high and ultra. The crash did not happen.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

What URL are you referring to? There's nothing to "run" with Speccy.

Edited by StrygwyrBS, 10 December 2017 - 04:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users