Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graffiti

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

Have been following our local paper and the debate going on regarding graffiti - and the 'rights' of those who wish to create "their art" freely and without restriction - and am amazed at how many people honestly don't seem to feel there is something wrong with marking up someone else's private property. In fact, that the artists should not be prosecuted at all, since they have the 'artistic licence' to do this.

Yup, I really must be far older than I thought - gentle grin - as I can't help but think these same artists would be screaming bloody-murder if someone defaced their personal possessions.

Or, perhaps I'm simply old-fashioned?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:40 PM

Even if a graffiti artist creates the next Mona Lisa. If they do so on anothers property then it is wrong. This is coming from someone who loves! art. But respects the law. "Artistic licence'", that is a good one. And I didnt think that grafiti is covered under that. Ill have to check that out.

There are even some grafiti artists that break into museum's and deface displayed art. Read about it sometime last year on the web.

No problem on your posting more than one topic, Mara. They both seem to be sensible intelligent queries. IMO :thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 25 September 2006 - 08:44 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, i definately don't agree with "We have the right to express ourselves on ANYONE's property". If you do it on someone else's property without their expressed consent, that's pretty much illegal.

At ncsu, we have a "free expression tunnel". It's a tunnel that leads under the railroad tracks, and students are free to paint/spray/tag whatever they want inside the tunnel. I've seen some awesome graffiti art, and it allows kids to get out their vandalism in a more "legal" manner.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:10 PM

I also agree that defacing any property is wrong. Personal property is worse. The tunnel thing is Ok as it's accepted and not in public view. In my town one has to pay for the restoration and or do graffitti removal service.
Some years ago when I had an apt. there was this guy who would keep painting the vestibule with foulness. The management would repaint and he'd be back. Well one eve a couple friends and I lay in wait. Well when he went in we followed. We painted him with his own paint of course. The problem was solved.
On another view is the Iowa rock. a griffitti laden rock til Ray "Bubba" Sorensen thought to paint a tribute to veterans on it. I was defaced once,( a Vet punched the guy in the nose )fixed and still stands today.
The Rock
Image Gallery
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:07 AM

There is no doubt that defacing the property of others is sheer vandalism, but some graffiti can be a real work of art and it is just a pity that it cannot be displayed somewhere legal for all to enjoy.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 Kyle

Kyle

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:14 AM

I also thing defacing others property is wrong. Its like you buying something expensive and someone else taking it without your permission (stealing it). Which is unfair in my opinion. If they want to deface property, they should do it to their own!

Warm regards,
Kyle
Regards,
Kyle

#7 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:46 AM

How reassuring others also feel that grafitti doesn't belong on other's personal property! Thanks to all of you who posted your comments here - Whew, I don't feel so old-fashioned now - gentle grin.

Went to the site to see photos of 'The Rock' - wow! Can surely understand why a Vet would 'pop' someone in the nose for defacing it, too! Somehow defacing that would offend me as seriously as when I see someone burn a flag - any country's flag! Or breaking into a museum and defacing art!

Of course, I don't understand people who go to parks and smash everyone's windshields either or, for that matter, those who don't steal themselves but knowingly buy 'hot' property to save a few dollars, etc - come to think about it, guess I really am more than a tad old-fashioned! Drat and grin!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:07 AM

Nothing the matter with a bit of 'oldfashionedness' Mara.
When I look at today's values compared with those of a good few years' back, I know which I definitely prefer. Seems like a totally different world now.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users