Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Microsoft OneNote 2013

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AZrox

AZrox

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

HELP!

I recently did a Windows update and OneNote was reinstalled on my computer.  I do NOT want it and have been unsuccessful in every uninstall attempt. Each time I reboot the computer a big purple and white box pups up with software.  Please assist.  I'm all ears.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

https://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

Hello Saw,

I tried uninstalling OneNote using PowerShell. I copied  Get-AppxPackage *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage into the PowerShell box. I did a reboot and the software is still installed. What am I missing?

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

Hi, press the win + x keys together, windows power menu opens, select Powershell (admin) from the options, copy the below text, then right click anywhere in the powershell window and the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter, restart (must be restart, not shutdown) computer.

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage

#5 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

Hello Janae,

I followed your instructions and the software is still installed.  In all my years of dealing with computers I never had software so difficult to uninstall.  Maybe its me?  Perhaps there is another method?  Thx!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

Do you have Office 2013? 

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-uninstall-onenote

#7 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:43 PM

Hello John,

Yes I have Office 2013 Home and Student version.  I looked at the instructions from your link and clicked the change link.  The control panel is only giving me the option to do a repair not add or remove programs.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

I'm not sure why this is not available. Some people commented that it's not available if you have a click to run version of Office but that's not your case.

Edit: You are not alone. If Office was included with your computer that may be the reason you do not see the add/remove features.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-office_install/how-do-i-uninstall-select-components-of-microsoft/d545daf4-2b9b-4c33-ae10-e325b278163a?auth=1

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2017 - 08:07 PM.

#9 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:10 PM

Hello John,

Office was not included in my computer.  I purchased and installed the software at a later date. If I'm unable to remove the program is there away to disable the large purple and white box that pops up every time I reboot my computer?

It is beyond annoying and rather aggravating that MS doesn't care about what their customers want.  Who wants to see a large purple and white box pop every time they reboot? Very frustrating!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

If you have the key for Office and the install media you could uninstall Office and reinstall using Custom and only selecting the components you wish. That's the only idea I have, sorry.

#11 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:15 AM

Hi AZrox,

Yes...I agree about that pop-up being annoying! Mine showed up with the 1709 Fall Creators Update. I also have Microsoft Office 2013 suite, OneNote is part of the suite. As I use Office 2013 on a daily basis, uninstalling the entire (paid for program) was not an option (which might apply to you as well.)This is how I got rid of the notification (pop-up and notification in the taskbar):

Open OneNote -> Click File -> Click Options -> Click Display -> Un-tick "Place OneNote icon in the notification area of the taskbar"

bconenote.jpg

Let us know if this works for you!

#12 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

Softeyes,  I followed your instructions and it worked :)  The OneNote box is no longer appearing at startup.  Thanks Softeyes and everyone else for your support. Problem resolved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users