Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual machine with MS-DOS as guest

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spartan2000

Spartan2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

This is what I'm trying to do:-

Host is running Windows XP Pro SP3.

Installed Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 software.

Created a vm running MS-DOS 6.22.

All works fine so far.

Why am I running MS-DOS?  Well I have a programme called Xrouter which runs in the DOS environment, but I've run into a problem.  Xrouter needs to communicate with the outside world using Serial Ports and a LAN connection.  I cannot get a LAN port to work in the vm DOS environment, although the card works fine in Windows.  I have the correct DOS Packet driver, and the network adaptor works if I boot the computer using an MS-DOS boot disk, but not if I run it through the MS-DOS vm within XP.  I can select the network adaptor within the vm Settings, and I have tried plugging in different network cards, but always the same issue.

Is there some trick to get the network card to work in a vm running DOS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

If you don't mind switching to VirtualBox, they have a step-by-step guide to setting it up there.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Sharing_files_with_DOS

#3 Spartan2000

Spartan2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for your suggestion.  I did initially try Oracle' VM but didn't get anywhere with it!  Your helpful post has led me to see that the MS Network Client software will probably do the trick.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users