Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Last Chance to Install a Printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EncoMan

EncoMan

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

I use 98SE offline because there are several old apps and DOS that are still very useful.

Around 2009 my friend purchased an HP Deskjet D4260.  For reasons he can't remember, the
factory sealed box was promptly stored on closet shelf.  He offered this brand new printer to
me, and I immediately thought about keeping 98SE alive by installing this Deskjet.

The installation CD is for Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.  I've got the latest version of KernelEx,
so I tried the install three times with each system.  It didn't work.  All I see on my Desktop is
an hourglass that flips over and over.  The system freezes solid.  I'm forced to use Task Manager
to kill a few processes.

There is a Universal HP Print Driver for 98.  It's suppose to work with all Deskjet and Laserjet
printers.  Again, it didn't work for me.

HP Universal W98W98SE USB DJ LJ Driver:
http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1344325

The recommended solution is to download almost any HP printer software if it's compatible with
98SE.  Many people have successfully used drivers and a maintenance utility for similar (but not
identical) HP printers.

Here is a post you can find on several forums:
https://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/hardware/threads/493360/printer-driver-for-windows-98#post2159161

I tried a few HP packages for similar printers that are compatible with 98SE.  It's worked for other
people, but it's not working for me.  The drivers are not communicating with the printer, so I get
a "print failed" message box.

(I mount virtual partitions, so all new installs can be discarded if they fail.  Also, I have many full
system backups.)

It seems like I've tried everything without success.  I'm about to donate this printer to Goodwill, so
any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:56 PM

Sometimes, but not always, this idea would actually work:

I would "lie" to Windows and call the physical printer by a name that is found within Windows select hardware -- I haven't used 95/98 in awhile.  I lied about a Brother laser printer by telling Windows to use HP LaserJet Series II -- it worked for that printer.  Another printer, I had to "lie" which model it actually was.  With Windows 7, I'm not sure one can get away with that trick.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 December 2017 - 02:59 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 EncoMan

EncoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:54 PM

Thanks RolandJS.

The New Hardware Wizard launches when the printer is powered up.  98SE does list several Deskjet

models.  Obviously, Deskjet D4260 would not be on the list because it's too new.  However, there is a

listing for "HP Deskjet" without a model number.

Windows prompts for the 98SE install CD.  I have all the files copied to a partition.  The system installs the
printer.  It appears in all the right places like the print folder, MS System Information, etc.  When I attempt
to print a test page nothing happens.  After a long wait (at least 30 seconds) a "print failed" dialog box
appears.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:40 PM

Don't give up, maybe try a different manufacturer's printer that comes very close to the printer you want online and working.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users