Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I turn my computer monitor into a TV set?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

Hi,

I have a 24" ViewSonic LED 1080p Full HD personal computer desktop monitor built in the year 2011. Is there a way that I can turn this thing into a TV set?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

If it has HDMI then yes

If it doesnt its going to need an adapter.

But does it have a speaker port too? Like a standard headphone jack?

Edited by MadmanRB, 08 December 2017 - 03:09 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

Nof sure what you are asking.

System is capable of adding a controller card so that all TV programs can be reflected on computer monitor...connection does not have to be HDMI.  I have a Hauppauge card installed on my motheroard that allows me to mimic TV reception on my computer system....simply by running coax connectors from my TWC box to the installed Hauppauge card.  The audio and video from the TV boc are carried on the same line.

The result is that I can watch or record any TV station which is picked up via the TWC settop box...on my computer system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

I think they intend to use a monitor as a TV without a capture card.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

Two things are needed to allow the monitor to act as a TV.  #1  You need some type of  tuner to capture broadcast signals from an antenna or  #2  A cable or dish receiver box with either VGA or HDMI output, depending upon which input you have on the monitor.  Sound??  There's where the problem lies as the display has no speakers or hardware to extract the audio content from the data stream.  Using a PC/laptop to provide the stream from the web will also allow the audio from the computer but in most cases will require a subscription to Netflix or other media provider like NBC Sports, ESPN etc.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

What model is the monitor? If it has internal speakers then it should be fairly simple.

For some years now my TV for free to air has been a 24" Benq monitor with internal speakers running HDMI from a cheap set top box.

If your monitor has no speakers, a basic PC speaker should do that job, with suitable adapter if necessary, e.g. RCA-3.5mm.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 charlzden

charlzden

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:27 PM

You need a TV tuner card. If your monitor doesn't have built-in speakers, not really worth it to use as a TV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users