Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HDD defective?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 karrun

karrun

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

So with the help of a member on this forum, we determined that my husband's laptop SATA drive was dying. I bought a new one on Amazon, a Seagate 1TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Hard Drive (ST1000LM048). Also with the help of members on this forum, I got it installed. A week later, it's making a loud noise on start-up. I ran the Seagate Seatools diagnostic test for Windows and it failed the long generic test. I followed the recommendations and ran the DOS version which it passed. I again ran the Windows version and it failed. 

Do I have a lemon?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

I would RMA that drive. HDDs shouldn't be making loud noises at startup. You can confirm the bad drive by running Gsmartcontrol on the drive. First look under the Attributes tab. Are there any red or pink rows. Run the short test. If it passes run the long test. Post the log.

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/index.php/Screenshots

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 December 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#3 karrun

karrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

Okay, I ran the short test and the extended self test. The short one looked good, no pink or red that I saw. But so did the long one. It completed without error.

I've attached the log.

Attached Files

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:29 PM

That drive looks good. Are you sure the drive is making the noise? It could be a fan bearing.

#5 karrun

karrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

It just made the noise once, but it definitey sounded like a failing hard drive when starting up. And it did fail the Seatools Windows long test twice.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

If it failed the Seatools Long test twice I would RMA the drive. Keep the logs of the failed long test for proof for the RMA. 

#7 karrun

karrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

Okay thanks. Can you tell me how to wipe the drive before sending it back?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

Boot the Windows 10 install disk. At the screen where you see language press Shift + F10 to open the command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X      X being the disk number where Windows is install

clean all             This will zero wipe the disk. Make sure you have the correct disk if there is more than one HDD installed. You know it has finished when you see the diskpart prompt appear again.

exit

#9 karrun

karrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

Thank you (again)!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21