Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows shutting down problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pengchee

pengchee

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

I am en counting windows shutting down problem. When I shut down the computer it seem to hang at the shutting down screen. I live it overnight but it still did not close, the icon keeps turning (the small
circle on the left of 'shutting down'. I did a virus scan and a  chkdsk c: \r all result clean stage, in
safe mode but when I restart it could not shut down the same problem as in the normal mode. My OS. Widows 7 ultimate SP1. Thanks and hope to hear from you all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

Boot into Windows normally.  Run the chkdsk / rommand...when the screen comes up telling you that you can't run it now and asks if you want to run it on the next reboot, check that option.  Reboot...the chkdsk /r will run...system will boot into Windows...see if shutdown issues remain.

Let us know.

Louis

#3 pengchee

pengchee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

Thanks hamluis tried and get this in normal mode  'chkdsk /r ..  this type of the file systrm is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive'. What to do next ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:38 AM

Please...read/follow the directions I gave previously.

Louis

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:09 PM

Please...read/follow the directions I gave previously.    Louis

"...asks if you want to run it on the next reboot, check that option.  Reboot...the chkdsk /r will run..."  I think he is meaning this part.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 pengchee

pengchee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

Thank you for the reply RolandJS and hamluis. What I mean is ' in normal mode I run 'chkdsk /r .. it shows 'this type of the file systrm is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive'. after that it did not show anything on the screen. There are nothing shown "...asks if you want to run it on the next reboot."  I could not close it and do not know whether it is doing its work and there is no CPU activity.  I could run it in safe mode and it said the volume is clean as I mentioned.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:44 AM

Try the following, exactly as stated:  Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880 ,

Louis

#8 pengchee

pengchee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:08 AM

Thanks hamluis will try it after work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users