Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why would someone want to chose to buy a new Google Chromebook?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:10 PM

Hi,

Why would I chose to buy a new Google Chrome book to use today in 2017 over something else?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

Chrome OS  on the Chromebook is a fairly secure OS. I would feel more confident using Chrome OS for banking than any Windows OS. There are Chromebooks in different price ranges but they all use the same Chrome OS. It is a secure OS but it isn't immune but because the vast majority of malware is designed for Windows infection on a Chrome OS is slim to none . Downside is data is in the cloud. It all boils down to what you want to use the computer for.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3064762/security/how-to-configure-your-chromebook-for-ultimate-security.html

https://chromeunboxed.com/chromebook-how-to-viruses-malware-and-chrome-os-security/

#3 Punchy71

Punchy71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

No worries about back doors being built into the operating system by Google corporation?

Edited by Punchy71, 08 December 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

Chrome OS is linux based. I doubt there would be any back doors just as there are no backdoors on Windows or Linux. If you want something that is secure then boot a live linux distro like Tails.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

Chromebooks are a nice alternative for those who do things like browse thwe web however there are both pros and cons to chromebooks:

Pros:

Chromebooks are based on linux so dont normally share the same security issues as windows

Chromebooks are fast and easy to use

Chromebooks are simple

Cons:

No windows program support, if you want to play steam games or load microsoft office on it forget it. Sure Microsoft office sort of is on chromebooks but its the web version not the full suite

They are practically useless without a internet connection

You cant install windows on them

If you need a good PC to go and the only thing you do is browse the web then a chromebook is for you

But if you want more then a windows device is for you.

Just keep in mind you could dual boot linux if you wanted to.

Linux is not that hard to use and distributions like mint are dead easy to use.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 mrpete

mrpete

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:38 PM

In my experience end users will select a Chromebook because:
1) It can surf the net from a Wifi connection.
2) It is the cheapest option available. Folks sometimes want to spend the absolute least $$ possible.

I really do get the low price angle, but ...

At this point the new 32 GB iPad 2017 costs $300 or less (+ tax). Currently, that is the best option for a simple device that is easy to use and quite secure, IMO. On black friday Best Buy was selling them for $250. If you wait for the next black friday that price will probably repeat.

Keep in mind I am not an Appleholic. I have both Windows & Linux boxes/laptops. For tablets I have a Nexus 10 android and an iPad.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:43 PM

I would go tablet but android any day over crapple

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 kdnoel

kdnoel

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

I'm liking my new Samsung 2 in 1 convertable plus!

Fast!

Secure!

Tablet - Tent - Laptop and built in stylus!

Access to 100 of thousands of apps in the PlayStore now that Chrome runs Android apps!

Previous post states that it is useless without an internet connection but that is wrong. Just download the offline version of Doc's, Sheets, etc.

If you want to run Office then just run the online version or free Android apps.

I even run Firefox via Android since it remains my favorite Browser.

Did I say it is lightning flash and boots within seconds?

I did this as an experiment to see if I could get by without Windows which I paid for and used since ver 2.1

#9 CDY

CDY

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

CHEAP!  CHEAP!  CHEAP! and works right out of the box, especially if you have an established gmail/google account.

It's what Apple should be selling. Basically the default troubleshoot is reinstalling the entire OS from a USB stick, which is pretty quick and convenient- it's a lot less frustrating than re-installing Windows. By default everything is save in the "cloud", namely Google Drive and Docs. If you're writing emails, a lot of text, especially code you need a keyboard. Keyboards for tablets like MS Surface are ridiculously expensive, and knockoffs aren't reliable. I bought an Acer 710 years ago, which is more upgradeable than most Chromebooks.Love :heart:

Edited by CDY, 22 January 2018 - 02:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users