Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Private or Public network.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rh900TxV

Rh900TxV

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hello all

My O.S. is Windows 10 Pro.

If the Public Network is the most restrictive for sharing then why does my System use it every time I disconnect from the Internet. I am having difficulties understanding this?

I am currently sharing files with the Private Network, which activates when I am online. Are my files safe with File and Printer sharing enabled while online?

Network configured as follows by Defender settings

Current Defender settings
Defender Firewall State = On
Incoming connections = Block all connections that are not on the list.
Private Network selected via settings. Always uses this network when connected to the web. Should it be the Public when online?  I set this myself in the Defender settings
Active private networks = My network Name    Status = Connected
Guest or Public Networks = Not connected   Incoming connections blocked.   Active public networks = None

NOTE: When I purchased this computer recently, the Public Network was always activating when I enabled the Network Adapter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

The default, which is for safety reasons, is that the machine is considered to be connected to a public network unless you have identified a specific network connection as private.  Whether a given network connection is public or private is managed in Settings -> Network & Internet, Status pane, Change connection properties link.  Once you set a given network connection as private (or public) it should be remembered as such until or unless you change it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users