Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Private or Public network.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rh900TxV

Rh900TxV

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hello all

My O.S. is Windows 10 Pro.

If the Public Network is the most restrictive for sharing then why does my System use it every time I disconnect from the Internet. I am having difficulties understanding this?

I am currently sharing files with the Private Network, which activates when I am online. Are my files safe with File and Printer sharing enabled while online?

Network configured as follows by Defender settings

Current Defender settings
Defender Firewall State = On
Incoming connections = Block all connections that are not on the list.
Private Network selected via settings. Always uses this network when connected to the web. Should it be the Public when online?  I set this myself in the Defender settings
Active private networks = My network Name    Status = Connected
Guest or Public Networks = Not connected   Incoming connections blocked.   Active public networks = None

NOTE: When I purchased this computer recently, the Public Network was always activating when I enabled the Network Adapter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

The default, which is for safety reasons, is that the machine is considered to be connected to a public network unless you have identified a specific network connection as private.  Whether a given network connection is public or private is managed in Settings -> Network & Internet, Status pane, Change connection properties link.  Once you set a given network connection as private (or public) it should be remembered as such until or unless you change it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users