Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

22 instances of SearchProvider and Startpage entries resist deletion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WinningOne

WinningOne

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

My AdwCleaner is detecting 22 PUP instances which I have attempted to clean but they return after each reboot. Below is an example of one of the items as recorded in AdwCleaner's log:

PUP.Optional.Legacy, Startpage found: genio followed by a lot of apparently random letters, numbers, and symbols.

I originally was running the removal tool because I would randomly lose control of my PC. It would behave as if someone was rolling their hands back and forth across the keyboard while rapidly clicking on the mouse buttons. Random windows would open and close and non-sense text would appear wherever the text cursor landed. I could still issue commands myself but they would be over ridden by the next random command from the PC.

Along with AdwCleaner, I used CCleaner to clean up the registry and Symantecs Root Kit Tool. After running these tools and removing detected malware I have used the PC for about 90 minutes without further issue so I think that is resolved. I am just left with these search providers and start up pages.

I attempted to remove them manually from my browser but they didn't show up when I looked for extensions or browser helpers. Also, my actual startpage has not changed. It continues to be the default search bar for Chrome with thumbnails of my browser history below it.

There are copies of McAfee and Norton on my PC but the subscriptions have run out so the software isn't active

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium

I use Google Chrome as my browser

Thanks in advance for taking a look at my issue.

JR

Edited by WinningOne, 07 December 2017 - 03:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Unworn_Kilt

Unworn_Kilt

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:31 AM

G'day and Welcome,

Apologies for the delay.

I just located your Topic.

For a start will you please uninstall the expired anti-virus. That will just cause us problems.

Once you've done that will you please post back here and PM me to advise me as the notification system is acting up.

I need to advise you that I'm a standard member and Not a Malware Removal Expert.(More on that later.)

Please do as I've asked and we'll take a look at your system.

Be aware I am a Volunteer. I do my best to be here as much as possible. Occasionally there may be a delay when life gets in the way. :)

I look forward to hearing back.

Regards,

Kilt    :thumbup2: 

PLEASE NOTE

I am only a Standard Member,  NOT a Trained Malware Removal Expert. If you have ANY concerns regarding any advice I may give, please contact a Member of Staff before making changes.

Thanks!

** Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick **

#3 Unworn_Kilt

Unworn_Kilt

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

G'day again,

Do you still require assistance with this issue?

If so, please post a response and include any logs from the cleaning tools already used.

Thank you,

Kilt   :thumbup2: 

PLEASE NOTE

I am only a Standard Member,  NOT a Trained Malware Removal Expert. If you have ANY concerns regarding any advice I may give, please contact a Member of Staff before making changes.

Thanks!

** Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users