Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Required

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PantherCub

PantherCub

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:45 PM

First of all I'm a newby to the group and I'm in need of some advice regarding my PC.

The problem which I'm getting is when I turn my PC on it will sometimes start without a problem but other times it will keep restarting. Even sometimes it will boot up but after a while it will shut down and the monitor will go black and the PC will restart... its making the bleeping noise no probs with that.

I was just wondering if someone could help me with this problem. All the fan's in my unit are working fine.

Any help and advice will be great.

Thankyou

Karen

P.S I have also formatted my PC and installed the basics... but now its starting to do it again.

Edited by PantherCub, 25 September 2006 - 05:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

When a critical error occurrs in Windows XP, the system will reboot automatically by default. After the reboot, Windows will then usually show a dialogue with the explanation that the system has recovered from a critical error and will offer to submit this error to Microsoft.
Most of the time these spontaneous reboots are rather unique and are not an immediate cause for alert. However, if the situation is recurring, there is probably something wrong in the system configuration. To get a good idea of what is wrong, it is best to disable the option to automatically restart the system after a failure, but to let it show the error message instead.

To do so, please perform the following steps:
1. Right-click My Computer.
2. Select Properties.
3. In the System Properties, select the tab Advanced.
4 In the box called Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
5 A new window will open:

6. Uncheck the box "Automatically restart" in the group System Failure
7. Confirm the changes in both Windows by clicking OK.
Whenever a critical system failure occurs now, you will see a blue screen with a cryptic description of the error. However, the content of this message might help in finding the appropriate solution to the problem.

Note: Most of the critical errors are due to faulty driver installations or incorrect BIOS settings. Especially in case of misbehaving drivers, the blue screens often list the filename of the driver that caused the crash.

There is no standard way to troubleshoot a specific error message shown in a blue screen, as it is dependent on the activities that have invoked the error as well as the specific hardware and software configuration.

Once you can see the bsod copy all the information on it and post it here.

#3 PantherCub

PantherCub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

Thankyou Enthusiast,

I've done what you mentioned in your reply and I'm just waiting for the problem to start and then I'll post back to let you know what its coming up with, but its not restarted as of yet but will keep you posted.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:09 AM

While you're waiting, could you take a look at your Device Manager to see if there are any red x's or yellow !'s

To get to Device Manager, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 PantherCub

PantherCub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:41 PM

I've tried your advice usasma and there isn't anything highlighted in red or yellow.

My son switched teh PC on this morning and it was a blue screen and he said it said something about re-install hardware or something. I would be able to tell you better if I had seen the screen myself.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:07 AM

Take a look in the Event Viewer. By default, BSOD messages (that Blue Screen) are logged to the Event Log. Here's a How-To on how to use the Event Viewer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 PantherCub

PantherCub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:04 PM

I have finally witnessed the blue streen and made a note of its contents:

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If screen appears again, follow these instructions:

A system diagnosic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. Particular, run a memory check and check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try changine video adaptors.

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. Disable or remove andnewly installed software. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup option, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)

(There was part of the wording missing on the left of the screen and couldn't make out this part... well I could make it out, just not what the words was LOL)

inning dump of physical memory
sical memory dump complete
tact your system administrator or
technical support group for further assistance.

--------------

I hope this makes some sence to those who are out there helping me on this one... thanx guys.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:05 PM

How to open Event Viewer
If you can start Windows XP, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver causing the problem. To view the System Log click Start and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools. Double–click Event Viewer to open it and then System Log to view.

See if you can tell us what it says in there and if it lists a particular file, driver or device.

Do you know exactly how long this problem has been occurring?

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

General causes of "STOP 0x0000007F" errors
The above STOP error means a trap occurred in kernel mode and the trap is either one the kernel is not allowed to have or is always fatal. The most common causes of a STOP 0x7F are:
• Low-level hardware corruption, such as corrupt memory (RAM)
• Mismatched memory modules
• A malfunctioning motherboard
more to read here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=137539&sd=RMVP

Lets start with the RAM, as that is a common reason for this:

RAM tests

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

Let us know the results:

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 September 2006 - 11:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users