Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Trojan can infected my PC even if a don't install it?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Senua89

Senua89

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:45 AM

Hello everyone, i know that the title is not specific but i don't know how make that more specific. 2 days ago i downloaded a file using utorrent. After the download has finish, before open the folder, I scanned all the file with Windows Defender and other applications. They found a Trojan named "Skeeyah.A!rfn", immediately i decided to eliminate the virus and the day after all the folder without installing anything. Reading this forum, I downloaded MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, Rogue Killer, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, Hitman Pro, Adw Cleaner, Tdss killer and Kaspersky Security Scan for scan my PC and be sure that the infection was end. Even in safe mode they don't found anything. The infection seems be over, but i have a question, if i download a file wiht utorrent or other P2P applications and I scan it before open or install it, I save my PC from being infected? Or even just downloading the file infected with a virus, makes my PC infected? Other question that i have is: I know that download things using P2P applications is dangerous, but sometimes(2 times a year) i need to download this type of files, do you know some advice for minimize the risk? Thanks for the answer and for you're time :) and excuse me for my not perfect english.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

You got lucky in the sense that a scanner found the malware. Sometimes it takes days and even months before a new piece of malware

is known to the security programs. Like you said...downloading free stuff is very risky....and often illegal.

New malware is created throughout every day.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Senua89

Senua89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

You got lucky in the sense that a scanner found the malware. Sometimes it takes days and even months before a new piece of malware

is known to the security programs. Like you said...downloading free stuff is very risky....and often illegal.

New malware is created throughout every day.

First of all thanks for the answer, but, perhaps because I have not explained well, you have not answered my first question which is: If i scan the folder with various applications after the download has finish and, if i found a trojan(like in my case), i delete it and the whole folder for security without installing anything, i can be sure that my PC has not been infected by the trojan? I mean in my specific case, not in general. Because I would like to know that my PC has been infected or not. I apologize again if my english is not good.

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:03 PM

Perhaps you might consider posting in the "Am I infected" forum. There you will receive the assistance and guidance necessary to determine if a Trojan or other malware persists.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

That will work probably in most cases. But it won't work if the link you click to download is actually malware or if the malware is

new and has not been added to the security programs you scan with. Like I said earlier...you were lucky.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Senua89

Senua89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

Perhaps you might consider posting in the "Am I infected" forum. There you will receive the assistance and guidance necessary to determine if a Trojan or other malware persists.

Ok, thanks for the reply, I considered doing it but I do not have problems with missing files, frequent crashes, blue screens or anything else so I think the infection has been blocked. Anyway, as soon as I have time I will create a discussion, just to be sure.

That will work probably in most cases. But it won't work if the link you click to download is actually malware or if the malware is

new and has not been added to the security programs you scan with. Like I said earlier...you were lucky.

I do not think the malware is new because the file is quite old. Anyway thanks for the help and for the advice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users