Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Linux Replacement for Logitech Webcam Controller

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

Almost ready! :thumbsup:

Spoiler

Am going to try the software on one the intended webcam where it's now sitting (near my desk :lol:) and test extensively before making it the 'go to' PC for the job. My only concern that may be unfounded is the 8GB DDR2-800 RAM limitation, if needed, have a AMD Phenom ll x4 965 BE OC'd to nearly 3.7 GHz with 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM (OC'd to near 1866MHz), ready for action, or modded Dimension 2400 now equipped with an FX-8350 & 24GB DDR3 RAM, there's no lack of usable PC's here with Mint installed, although the others are MATE. 

While not the most powerful model to use for the job, I prefer the HP because it uses less power, hopefully won't pull a choke job on me. Still a decent performer, with the ability to run (up to) a Core2Quad Q9650 after a microcode update installed with a bootable Win98 USB stick that has the needed files. Otherwise, would had been restricted to the lesser performing Q9300, the best 'approved' for use with the PC, before the CPU microcode update became available in 2015 with the latest BIOS, kind of an odd out of band BIOS update for this old of a model (7 years at time), ranked critical. A lifesaver for many who wanted to upgrade from the Q9300, specs below. :)

Would like to upgrade the kernel to a newer & almost did via UXTERM (all of the 4.4 kernel family now shows in list), yet something failed twice & rolled back to the original. Am not giving up, was the 4.14.0-041000 one that failed, the only others shown are the 4.4 kernels that's now in list, other than all of the default 3.13 family. Am not sure if I can benefit from a 4.4 kernel on Mint 17.3, yet there's no harm in trying, can always roll back if needed. 

If it weren't for AMD not providing fglrx drivers for Linux Mint 18 LTS series, this would be a non-issue. Hopefully will work out fine, can still use for this purpose even after EOL in April 2019. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users