Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tonight's problem - can't click links on YouTube in Chrome

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MsPickles

MsPickles

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:12 AM

Hello everyone. I am Ms. Pickles -- a name I chose because, well, I'm in a pickle right now, and I could really use your help! (My font size is set to 18 because my eyesight isn't the greatest.)

Between this morning when I left for work, and this evening when I got home and fired up my laptop again, something weird has happened when I try to use the Search feature in YouTube.

I normally type my search request and then hit Enter on my keyboard. Tonight, nothing happened when I pressed Enter.  So I used the mouse to click the Search button/Magnifying glass, and again, nothing happened.

I was redirected to a CAPTCHA because apparently Google picked up some "suspicious activity" coming from my network, and they had to make sure I wasn't a bot (probably because I was trying to click this, that, and the other things to figure out what I *could* click!).

I am able to click the menu bar on the far left top corner, able to access Settings from that menu, and I can use right-click > Open Link in New Tab -- which is a bit of a pain in the butt, and I'd rather figure out what's going on instead of "making do" with doing that from now until who-knows-when.

Any and all help's appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer. This could be caused by malware, so I'll move your topic to an appropriate forum where members can check it.

#3 MsPickles

MsPickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer. This could be caused by malware, so I'll move your topic to an appropriate forum where members can check it.

Oh, thank you very much, Al! :)

#4 MsPickles

MsPickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:51 PM

PS for everyone reading -- I'm running Windows 7 Professional  -- AND this problem is occurring on Google Chrome.

When I tried to search things with YouTube using Firefox, it works fine.

#5 samwiseOrgin

samwiseOrgin

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:12 AM

Is it possible that you left your VPN on? Sometimes google farts on VPN 

#6 MsPickles

MsPickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:17 AM

Is it possible that you left your VPN on? Sometimes google farts on VPN 

I don't run a VPN, so that's not it...  (And also, Google/YouTube work just fine while running Firefox.)

#7 MsPickles

MsPickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:41 AM

For the sake of shoots-and-ladders, I tried using YouTube on Chrome again... and it worked. (This is very weird to me, as I don't see how it would suddenly not-work one day, only to work again the next day.)

Just to be safe, I'm still up for any tips or things of that nature if anyone wishes to aid me in figuring out if I've got some sort of malware/virus/etc. going on.  Thanks to everyone who's read so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users