Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows or virus? Unsure.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xfreakazoidx

xfreakazoidx

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:08 AM

PC Specs at bottom. I'll start with the obvious info first. Yes its a legit copy of Win 7. Got it years ago when I bought a PC from Best Buy, at the time it has Vista and offered Win 7 as an upgrade.

Well within the last few months I've been having issues with Windows. The first issue was when I would start bigger programs (like games or photoshop), the screen would display essentially like a screenshot of the desktop from earlier in the day. Then a few seconds later it disappeared. Then 3 weeks later a bunch of my start menu icons (for programs) disappeared. Then today out of no where now its asking for my Win 7 to be activated again!

I'm not sure whats going on. At first I assume maybe it was bad hardware. I've replaced my motherboard, video card, ram, PSU and so on during the last few weeks. And obviously I did run scandisk and defrag. And of course I scanned for viruses. Also if it helps I did try things like system restore but it wouldn't work. And with the windows activation I was able to fix it by simply hitting the activate button. Which is weird.

I can't seem to figure out what the cause of this all is. I'm assuming at this point it must be Windows. I do not want to do a reformat and reinstall windows. Thats always the hardest way to do things and I just did that a few months ago. Maybe I could reinstall Windows over itself? I don't really want to lose all the programs being unable to start and having to be reinstalled/reregistered.

So any ideas? Oh heres a screenshot example of what my screen does: https://ibb.co/eTew2w

PC Specs: -Phantom 410 (Red case) -Intel i5 Core 6600k Unlocked (Hyper 212 EVO cooler) -Z270X motherboard -GeForce GTX 1060 -16gb DDR4 memor -CD/DVD-DL/Bluray Lightsribe writer -650 Watt Corsair Power Supply. -x3 1TB HDs (WD's) -Win 7 -WoW mouse -Fatality Sound Card (Sound Blaster) -Hyper X Headphones -Dell Gaming S2716DG Monitor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:16 PM

Since you're unsure whether you're infected or not I suggest you post in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum to assess your system.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users