Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootloop of Death (And Persistance)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SpookyNoodle

SpookyNoodle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:10 AM

TL;DR

My first build is experiencing lots of problems with booting, and when waking up from sleep. 

The History

I know that I have a penchant for colorful language, so I will do my best to be as brief and as detailed as simultaneously possible.

My computer has been experiencing many, many problems starting about 6 months ago. I built it in May, and I later learned that there were a few issues. Some of the mobo screws were not fully screwed into the standoffs, and some of the standoffs were not fully screwed into the case. 

After some time, I learned that the motherboard was shorting out, so I replaced the motherboard, took the build apart, fully screwed in the standoffs, and assembled the computer again, double checking each part as I went. This rebuild took place about two months ago. 

The Build

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (Purchased For $195.00) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: SanDisk - Z400s 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $70.00) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC Video Card  (Purchased For $200.00) 
Case: Rosewill - Galaxy-01 ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Acer - XF240H 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Keyboard: Corsair - K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Keyboard: Corsair - K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wired Optical Mouse  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud Core  Headset  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $855.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-06 23:54 EST-0500

The original motherboard was MSI B350M Bazooka but some advice from a PC Laptops technician convinced me to upgrade to an ATX Board. 

I have always kept up-to-date with the latest graphics drivers, and recently flashed my UEFI to ver 4.2 (the latest bios ver as of 12/6).

The Problem
  • In my case, I have an LED Fan, which lights up whenever the system is powered on. When this blue light is on, I shall refer to it as signal 1.
  • On my case, I have an LED that indicates if the hard drive is active. When this light is on, either steadily flashing or solid, I shall refer to it as signal 2.
  • Both my keyboard and mouse having backlighting, and when they are lit up, I shall refer to them as signal 3. 
  • And finally, my monitor automatically turns on when it has a signal and goes to sleep when it does not. When the monitor is lit up and receiving signal, I shall refer to it as signal 4. 
  • The case also has some sort of reset switch or CMOS button on the front, which I occasionally use while troubleshooting (as described below).

• Frequently, when I come back from an extended period of inactivity, I will have 1, but not 2-4. Under normal circumstances, I could tap a few keys or make a few clicks, on the system would wake up, having all signals. However, the problem has arisen that the system is unresponsive, no amount of clicking keys or clicks can arouse the system, and I will have to do a hard reset (holding the power button down for 5+ seconds). Upon starting the system up from cold (completely off), I’ll get signal 1 immediately, followed by 2 and three for a brief period of time, then all signals except 1 go dark. Again, the system is unresponsive, unless I do a hard or soft reset (hitting the reset switch). 
  • The reset switch will frequently have the same result as the previously mentioned cold boot, but occasionally, without doing anything differently, it will boot to the UEFI logo, either freezing there, or allowing one or two loops of the ‘loading icon’ (the swirling dots), before freezing there. In these instances, I will have Signals 1 and 4, but not 2-3, and a hard reset produces a loop of the same type, going to the UEFI screen before freezing. 
  • Sometimes, booting from cold takes me to the previous result, of signals 1 and 4 (albeit frozen), but nothing from 2-3.
Attempted Repairs
  • /sfc scannow in the command prompt (running as administrator) -> no issues detected
  • chkdsk in command prompt (run as admin) -> all disks healthy
On occasion, I would be able to boot into the repair screen, and had access to the troubleshooting options. 
  • Updating graphics drivers - > no change
  • Rolling back graphics drivers -> no change
  • Booting from flash drive -> this actually experienced the same problems as booting from my SSD
  • Updating BIOS - > no change
I’ve also included my DxDiag and will send my MSInfo when I can (since pastebin is being silly), in case those are helpful.

Conclusion

I’ve tried a lot of stuff, with no success, and it’s really irritating to have no clue where to even start. Please help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:09 AM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities.  
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with one of these free utilies:  
SpeedFan:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
HWMonitor:  https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
HWInfo:  https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Also, while waiting for a reply, please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please finish ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SpookyNoodle

SpookyNoodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

You know, I actually had recently run the Sysnative File Collector for another tech forum that I submitted my problem to, so I already had the file available to upload. The admin.evtx is inside the Admin.zip, because I can't upload .evtx files to the forum, for some reason. 

Thank you!

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

Forums don't allow unknown file types to be uploaded - it's too hazardous.
The good old .zip format is accepted on most forums

Have you run antivirus and antimalware scans? 

If so, what was the result?
If not, please do run them.

Nothing else that I can see in Admin log file that's suggestive of a software problem.

As such, please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please finish ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P4.20) dates from 20 Nov 2017.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

The systeminfo.txt file is missing from the reports, as such I cannot tell how many Windows Update hotfixes are installed.

Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Although there are no memory dumps uploaded, there's evidence of at least 2 BSOD's - one of which was a STOP 0x124
More info on this error here:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000124

This is most often caused by a hardware problem - but it is possible that it can be caused by compatibility issues or low-level drivers.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users