Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to resize reserved partition for Win 10 Fall update

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 neuroxik

neuroxik

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:08 PM

Hey everyone,

So I'm pretty much out of options after Googling and trying over & over again for a week so I'm hoping someone might have advice:

I'm not trying to upgrade from Win7/8 to 10 but from Win 10 (Version 1551 (OS Build 10586.1176)) to Windows 10 Fall Creators update. I get errors saying something like "couldn't write to reserved partition" (or something about the reserved partition), and an error code which I forgot but the new error code is: 0xc1900200

I've also tried disabling all Anti-Virus etc to no avail. I *think* it's based on the fact my reserved partition isn't large enough. The problem is, I can't resize it bigger because when I create a new chunk of unallocated disk space, it's not adjacent to that partition. I'm still confused as to if it's my 100 MB partition named "GPT (EFI System Partition)" or the 16 MB named "Reserved Partition" which I see using EaseUS Partition Master. Oh, and by the way, I've tried that one and AOMEI Partition Assistant Technician Edition 6.5, and MiniTool Partition Wizard. But whichever one it is, the 16 MB one or 100 MB one, they happen BEFORE my C:\ which is THEN followed by any extra space I try to create, as in the screenshot below which shows a 200 MB unallocated :

iqCmZFo.png

So, I figured maybe the only one is to MOVE that unallocated space NEXT to the reserved partition, but I can't find how. Anybody know how or has insight into what direction to take?

Also, just to clear things out for me, is the partition Win 10 needs is the 16 MB one or the 100 MB one? I know the 16 MB explicitely says "Reserved Partition" but I'm quite surprised that that partition would only be 16 MB.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

You need to provide the exact error message text and error codes.

Moving 1 additional MB into a 175 MB partition wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.  You should have more than enough room for Windows in there, particularly with almost 75 GB still unused.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:18 AM

That 16MB partition is the Microsoft Reserved Partition which is now 16MB under Windows 10 but I am not sure why you are getting that error. I believe your error is concerning the MSR and not the EFI partition. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

I would do this only after backing up any of your personal data first. Backing up a disk image to a USB external drive would be even better.

Move the RE tool partition into the 296MB unallocated space. This would give you approx 500MB of unallocated space after C:

Move C:, not expand, into the 500MB space so you will now have 500MB of unallocated space before C:

Expand your 16MB reserved partition into the unallocated space before C: creating a reserved partition of about 500MB. 

After doing the above see if you can now upgrade. I'm thinking Windows is having issues with that small reserved partition for some reason. The MSR holds no data and is used for Partition Management

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 December 2017 - 11:21 AM.

#4 neuroxik

neuroxik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

You need to provide the exact error message text and error codes.

Moving 1 additional MB into a 175 MB partition wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.  You should have more than enough room for Windows in there, particularly with almost 75 GB still unused.

Alright, next time I get an error message I'll paste it, it's usually just one very unspecific sentence though

That 16MB partition is the Microsoft Reserved Partition which is now 16MB under Windows 10 but I am not sure why you are getting that error. I believe your error is concerning the MSR and not the EFI partition. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

I would do this only after backing up any of your personal data first. Backing up a disk image to a USB external drive would be even better.

Move the RE tool partition into the 296MB unallocated space. This would give you approx 500MB of unallocated space after C:

Move C:, not expand, into the 500MB space so you will now have 500MB of unallocated space before C:

Expand your 16MB reserved partition into the unallocated space before C: creating a reserved partition of about 500MB. 

After doing the above see if you can now upgrade. I'm thinking Windows is having issues with that small reserved partition for some reason. The MSR holds no data and is used for Partition Management

Thanks a lot for taking the time. I'll try that out & give a follow-up. My only concern is, what exactly do I backup? Do I backup the entirety of C:\ ? 'Cause that would mean backing up ~175 GB. Or is it the totality, which is roughly 1 TB. I'm asking because my resources are limited although I'm willing to free space here & there on extra drives if needed

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

It would either be backing up your most personal data and any software licenses or a partition backup using any of the following software. You would need a USB external drive to hold the backup. Only data is backed up to the external as a complete disk image so a 1TB external drive would be sufficient if you back up all partitions except D:. Your partition backup would be less than 175GB as the program compress the data. You could not do a complete disk image backup including D: unless your external drive was at least 1TB.

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper

Easeus Todo Backup Free    The easiest to use.

All let you create a bootable USB or DVD. This would allow you to restore you partitions and data in case the partition movement failed and the computer no longer boots although I have never had a partition move fail on me yet. They is always a small chance things can go wrong with Partition movements.

Edit: I would like to add if you have irreplaceable data on partition D: and it's not backed up I would backup as soon as possible.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 December 2017 - 10:33 AM.

#6 neuroxik

neuroxik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:24 PM

Been a while, needed to find a time to do all that backup, which is now done and I moved the 500 MB partition BEFORE C:, but still have no option to move/resize

U9oDz60.png

The above screenshot is using EaseUS but whatever program I use the move/resize are greyed out or not there for those partitions, the only one (other than Data Partitions) which has those options is the EFI (100 MB)

EDIT : I was asked earlier to provide full error description, I had another one this morning (for the Windows update), and had the same one yesterday BEFORE any partition moving (including error code the same) which reads:

Microsoft can't install important security updates on your PC.

Edited by neuroxik, 16 December 2017 - 10:56 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

I found out from this page that you cannot resize the MSR partition but it can be deleted. You can then resize the EFI partition to approx 500MB.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/cannot-resize-the-system-reserved-partition/fa97bac0-2df0-4649-a8c8-5c60ef0e8877?auth=1

Other than doing the above I have no idea why you are getting that Windows 10 update problem. You could delete all partititons except D: then clean install Windows to the unallocated space. Windows would automatically partition and format the unallocated space. You would do a custom install.

The below guide is for Windows 8 but steps are good for 10. 

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

#8 neuroxik

neuroxik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

I found out from this page that you cannot resize the MSR partition but it can be deleted. You can then resize the EFI partition to approx 500MB.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/cannot-resize-the-system-reserved-partition/fa97bac0-2df0-4649-a8c8-5c60ef0e8877?auth=1

Other than doing the above I have no idea why you are getting that Windows 10 update problem. You could delete all partititons except D: then clean install Windows to the unallocated space. Windows would automatically partition and format the unallocated space. You would do a custom install.

The below guide is for Windows 8 but steps are good for 10. 

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

Hm, what a bummer. Well, thanks A LOT for your time cuz otherwise I would've had no idea what to try. Will let you know if this works out (or not).

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:23 PM

I would get the latest version of 10 using the Media Creation Tool if you don't have it already.  In any case I would back up any important data on D: if not in another location. Good Luck.

Edit: For some reason Microsoft has made the MSR 16MB for all Windows 10 installs. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 December 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#10 neuroxik

neuroxik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

Yah, that's what I also figured, get the latest version to avoid maybe encountering the same update problem. I'll still use it (reinstalling fresh) as a last resort if eliminating the MSR doesn't suffice cuz I'm so caught up in work and don't have the courage to do all this yet. I made a backup image of C but my logic tells me it won't be compatible, especially with dirs such as C:\Windows\, so that might be pretty useless so I'll probably just back C files but I have so many programs & settings which are long to put back in order but hey.

EDIT: I did as you said, delete the 16 MB MSR, resize the EFI to 500 MB (via EaseUS) and plugged my USB stick containing the downloaded upgrade and BAM, it's actually updating! On my phone right now cuz the process takes a while, I'll also come back tomorrow to add any additional info like if the update will re-create a 16 MB MSR (EDIT: Nope) especially given what you said in your last post,

[..] Microsoft has made the MSR 16MB for all Windows 10 installs.

But all in all, this seems to be working so far without needing to install from scratch, thanks A TON again! Here's a pic of the glory:
JdSsgHz.jpg

UPDATE:
Update successful, yay! When I type winver, I now have this instead of still being stuck with v1551
w19i2bT.png

Edited by neuroxik, 17 December 2017 - 01:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users