Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Ram Use

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:38 PM

Have just replaced my RAM with 2x512 sticks of DDR333 - all good.

A check with Everest 1.51 shows the following usage with my machine idling and CPU use around 20% - Memory use.

My question is, where on earth is all this memory being used and, how does XP operate with only the supplied 256MB at purchase.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:05 PM

Windows will operate with far less Ram although rather slowly.

The minimum today is considered by most to be 512mb but the 1024 you have is far better.

XP uses Ram constantly and manages the available ram and pagefile very well, in fact programs that purport to clear Ram to make your computer faster actually do the reverse. The Ram is much, much faster than the page file, which is what those aps force into pagefile when they push them out of Ram, and therefore they defeat XP's excellent memory management XP will use Ram itself for Windows maintenance functions when other aps aren't using all of the available Ram, thats why it may look like a lot is being used when you aren't using other aps.

What processor do you have? Ram must be correctly placed if it is a dual core or one with hyperthreading capability.

Also, do you have two separate internal hard drives or only one?
Did you set a static size for your page file (less fragmentation) or do you have it set for a min-max? It needs to be set for at least 1 and 1/2 times the amount of Ram but you can set it larger if you use memory intensive aps.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:33 AM

Thanks Enthusiast.

Most of specs in my sig. CPU is Celeron 4A 2.8GHz, 478 pin with 2 DIMM slots in a Gigabyte GA-8SIML - pretty ordinary I think.
Have a Seagate 40GB at the moment but there is a new Seagate 250GB sitting forlornly waiting to go in when I pluck up enuf courage to tackle it. Haven't decided yet whether to add storage or start from scratch.
I haven't altered any settings as Swap Space is 1500MB and Total Virtual Memory is 2492MB. Suppose I could increase the PageFile Space but doubt if I would gain much. What do you think?

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

Most RAM consumption is caused by items that startup with Windows. To see what they are, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the Task Manager. Then click on the Processes tab to see which processes are taking your CPU time and how much memory they occupy (Mem Usage).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:04 AM

Hi Rob, Looking at your collection of antimalware programs, if you have all those running that could be your problem.
Suggest having only one or two antispyware programs active at the same time. Especially if you don't use IE browser.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

Thank you all for your replies. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the memory usage, I was just amazed at how much was being used with my PC idling. As they say, unused RAM is wasted RAM so things are fine. My biggest user is Folding@Home which I have set to run at 50% CPU, 24/7, - all in a good cause. (BTW BC Team 38444 can always use more of you good people as participants).

I counted about 415MB on Task Manager while Everest says over 600MB of physical memory is being used. It was this difference which had me curious.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:32 AM

The increase in pagefile will increase performance under heavy load.

How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP MS
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482/en-us

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

Thanks.

Have set to 1500-2500. Should cover all contingencies.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:29 PM

I would suggest setting it for the same size in both, 2500-2500 rather than 1500-2500 thereby decreasing fragmentation.

Do you have an internal slave drive too?

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:51 AM

Have changed to 2500 - 2500.

Only the one 40GB HDD installed at the moment.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

I'd assume that Everest would use some of that memory while it was running.

You may want to try the free program Process Explorer available here: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:17 AM

Update. Am feeling rather pleased with myself as installation of additional 250GB HDD went very smoothly. Have divided it into 4 extra drives and have gone for the optimal virtual memory settings - thanks for the link Enthusiast - of a pagefile on C: and another on a separate partition on the new drive.

It will be interesting now to see if there is any noticeable improvement in performance.

Only use IE when I have to, thanks Buddy215.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users