Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron Clean Install XP Pro, IE 8 problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trucol

trucol

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

A friend of mine was given a Dell Inspiron 1525 and the hard drive had died. I replaced it with a new one. It had Vista on it. I had a copy of Windows XP Pro, and installed it, along with SP-2 and 3. I did get the drivers for ethernet and wireless installed, and it actually updated to IE8. The problem is that the only cites that  IE will connect to is MSN and Bing. Anything else, I get an error that says IE cannot display the webpage. When diagnose connection is run, I get the message:

Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. this is probably caused by the firewall settings on this computer. Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port(80), HTTPS port(443), and FTP port(21).

This is a clean install, and no other programs, ie antivirus or spyware, have been installed. IE Even Microsoft Update gets the same message. IE works with MSN and Bing, so it is not the internet connection.

Can someone please help me get this solved? My friend did not have enough money to buy a better OS,and I had XP just laying around.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

I would not be giving your friend XP especially if all they plan on doing is browse the internet and check email along with some online purchases. Depending on how much RAM is on the computer I would look at installing a linux distro. 

If you select Safe Mode with Networking can you connect to other sites? 

If that doesn't solve the problem reset the XP firewall. Open a command prompt and type netsh firewall reset.

Use OpenDNS servers. Flush the DNS cache after changing the servers. 

Sometimes the Dell drivers are wonky. Right click the Wifi adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware Ids in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:38 PM

I have XP, Win 7, and Win 10 all installed on this system.

For well over a year now...IE 8 is not acceptable, not welcome, not tolerated...by many websites.  The alternative, if one is still running unsupported XP...is to use a different browser if you want to travel the Web.

The reality is that there is no reason at all to install IE 8 and use it  with XP...once you have installed the many, many critical updates that are post-SP3.  There is no  critical update support for XP provided by Microsoft...and those critical updates were the rpimary reason that IE was formerly needed.

Other browsers will get you where you want to go...with XP.  I use Firefox and I have no problems getting where I want to go with it.  Other browsers can do the same.

The majority of websites treat IE 8 in XP...as if it's the plague...and they turn it away...justifiably.

Louis

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:00 PM

Do a test with Firefox it may get you through.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 trucol

trucol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:08 AM

Hey, guys. Thanks for the responses.
JohnC_21, my friend can't afford to buy a new OS. I'm at work now. I'm a night shift RN. I'LL try your suggestions when I get home.
hamluis, I don't know if it will let me download Firefox. It won't even go to MIcrosoft.com, or Windows Update! I will definitely try when I get home.
Someone had said that there are a lot of drivers missing when downgrading from Vista to XP.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:52 AM

Linux is open source and does not require any payment.Only a small donation if you wish. How much RAM does the computer have? What does your friend intend to do with the computer, only browse the internet and email along with some word processing?

I am not sure why you cannot download firefox. You can download on another computer, copy it to a USB flash drive, then install on the Dell.

On a clean install you need to install the latest Windows Update Agent for XP in order to get updates.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=100334

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 December 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

FIrefox is the only web browser left that still supports XP

Mozilla was supposed to pull XP support in September but extended it to sometime in 2018.

In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users