Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen freezes while and/or after playing games (LiveKernelEvent 141)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 itay347

itay347

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:35 PM

About a month ago I performed a fresh Windows 10 install for my 3-4 years old PC (I had some issues that are now gone).

For ~2 weeks now, I am having a very annoying problem that I couldn't find a solution for.

I tried to look for a pattern of when my computer freezes, but it seems like sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it doesn't.

Doing some research with the help of google, I found out "perfmon /rel" and a "Hardware Error" that kept showing in there when the computer freezed: "LiveKernelEvent" code 141.

During the weeks of the freezes/crashes, I had only 1 BSOD that happened about 2 days ago (If this information is helpfull somehow).

As I've sayed, I can't find the solution by myself, so I am asking for your help.

(I am going to run the memory and hard drive diagnostics that are mentioned in the posting instructions, and I will post the results later)

Speccy system snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ivEjZS8CVz4lhKQGTxZ86DS

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:14 PM

Hello,

Please start by removing f.lux from your system — it has been known in the past to cause issues like yours.

Also, please ensure you have the latest BIOS version for your motherboard (to rule out compatibility issues) and ensure Windows is fully patched with all the latest hotfixes (to rule out OS bugs).

You have an GIGABYTE GTX 760. Please start by reinstalling its driver with version 387.46, which is recommended by GIGABYTE:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/384.76-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe

When doing so, please perform a Custom Installation, as demonstrated below:
3SKjXsp.jpg
When you click Next, make sure you only install the Graphics Driver (and the PhysX System Software if you're a gamer). Also check Perform a clean installation (see below). Most importantly, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL ANY 3D DRIVERS!!! They are known to cause odd issues.
1bTMUDx.jpg

If you still run into issues, please reseat your graphics card and if possible change the PCI slot. (Be sure to clean out the slots with compressed air to remove any foreign particles.) If that fails too, remove the graphics card from the system, uninstall its drivers, and use your on-board Intel graphics instead... we'll move on from there.

best regards,
bwv848

P.S. Thanks for running the HDD + RAM diagnostics; they are essential.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 itay347

itay347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

Hi bwv848, thanks for replying!

I uninstalled f.lux as you asked. (Edit: I hope f.lux isn't the cause of my problem, I don't think I will survive without it for too long...)

I already have the latest BIOS version for my motherboard (I updated the BIOS just before I formatted my Windows).

I removed my graphics drivers (using DDU) and installed the recommended drivers by Gigabye using this link: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Driver/384.76-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe (the link you gave me wasn't for windows 10).
(Yes, I only checked the graphics driver and PhysX, and checked "Perform a clean installation").

After installing the driver, windows tried to update NVIDIA-something and failed (Code: 0x8024a105). But I think (and hope) it isn't a major issue, beacuse a little bit after that, windows update said my device is up to date (It also says that, after pressing the "check for updates" button multiple times).

Edit: Looking at "programs and features", I found that the nvidia driver got updated to 388.13, and Nvidia HD audio and 3D vision was installed (This is probably beacuse windows update... How do I stop it from happening?)

I have yet to face any freezes or crashes, but the real test will be when I play some games and see if anything wrong happens (I will report back if the issues are still present).

Edit: (I haven't tried any games, but) this morning I saw the notifiaction "Display driver failed to start" (Like this, but inside the notification panel)

In the first post I forgot to detail the "freezes" I experienced. My best try at explaining it to you is this:

It feels like the whole system have massive "FPS drops", and a few seconds later the screen just gets stuck on whatever I am currently doing (and windows won't open the Ctrl + Alt + Del menu).

Once, when I played CS:GO with my friends (with Discord), the "freeze"-thingy happned (the screen froze on some image) but I could still move in-game and hear the game running like normal, and I could still talk with my friends on Discord. (This incident might direct us to some display/graphics issue with my PC).

I completed the RAM diagnostics (I think it wen't well) and attached the report to this reply.

I will run the HDD diagnostics as soon as I can.

Edit: I'm reading the HDD Diagnostics Procedure (I have just a HDD and a UEFI based system), do I really have to run the test 3 times? 

BTW, I already did the test on windows 2 weeks ago, this is the log file named "Z1D6NLCE.log":

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.6 ---------------
22/11/2017 20:35:04
Model Number: ST1000DM003-1CH162
Serial Number: Z1D6NLCE
Firmware Revision: CC47
SMART - Started 22/11/2017 20:35:04
SMART - Pass 22/11/2017 20:35:09
Short DST - Started 22/11/2017 20:36:06
Short DST - Pass 22/11/2017 20:37:08
Long Generic - Started 23/11/2017 16:30:03
Long Generic - Pass 23/11/2017 18:21:53

Attached Files

Edited by itay347, 08 December 2017 - 12:56 AM.

#4 itay347

itay347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

(I can no longer edit my previous reply, so I'll update about my problem here.)

"Status update":

I did some "tests" of my own. I opened up and played CS:GO and Fortnite a few times, both had the "freeze" i described before, after ~1 minute of playing. (Although I was able to play one full round in Fortnite with no issues.)

I also had one "freeze" when I opened Discord while watching a youtube video in chrome.

More information about the problem:

Each time the "freeze" happenes, it is logged in "perflog /rel" as LiveKernelEvent 141 (with a multiple "windows desktop manager stopped working").

Some screenshots for reference: https://imgur.com/a/uVzot

Edited by itay347, 09 December 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:21 PM

Edit: I'm reading the HDD Diagnostics Procedure (I have just a HDD and a UEFI based system), do I really have to run the test 3 times?

No you don't have to run the test at all, since you've run it two weeks ago. And in the first place, you don't need to run it three times. :wink:

May I remind you of this... :)

If you still run into issues, please reseat your graphics card and if possible change the PCI slot. (Be sure to clean out the slots with compressed air to remove any foreign particles.) If that fails too, remove the graphics card from the system, uninstall its drivers, and use your on-board Intel graphics instead... we'll move on from there.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 itay347

itay347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

I removed the graphics card and found so much dust to clean between it's heatsinks (I do clean my PC every now and then, but I have never detached my graphics card before, so It had 3-4 years to collect dust that I didn't see  :whistle:). Then I reseated it to the same slot (I currently don't have compressed air, so I didn't clean the slot well enough).

I tested and played dota 2, cs:go, r6:siege, fortnite and rocket league. No crashed, no freezes, no fps drops.  :)

Let's hope that cleaning the graphics card fixed the problem.

I'll report back if the problem comes up again.

Thank you.  :thumbsup:

Edited by itay347, 12 December 2017 - 05:23 PM.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

You're welcome! Glad we were able to fix the problem... quite a simple fix indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users