Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 + Windows 2000 or XP On Same Machine...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ChrisK2814

ChrisK2814

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:50 AM

Not sure where exactly this should be posted, but hopefully here is okay.  Moderators, please move to the appropriate thread if necessary.

I just unboxed a new HP Omen yesterday that came with Windows 10.  Yay.  :)

It had some great reviews as far as a starter gaming computer was concerned, but I'm not a rabid gamer anyway.  Just wanted a decent machine that didn't kill my bank account and be able to handle the gaming I currently enjoy, mostly Blizzard games and some others.  Long story short, I have boxes of old games going as far back as Windows 95.  A lot of them are still fun, but currently unplayable as Windows 2000 or XP are but a distant memory now.

What I want to do is to get my hands on a copy of either Win 2K or XP and either partition my new 1TB hard drive or use the 500GB hard drive from my imminently departing Dell, which is on life support (and I don't expect it to make it through the end of the year.)  On this drive, I want to install one OS or the other and use this primarily just for playing these older games, some of which I'm currently unwilling to part with as they were so much fun and now my son is actually interested in some of them as well.

So, my two issues are 1, which OS should I pursue Win 2K or XP and 2, is it preferable to partition the new HD or reformat the old 500GB HD to the OS of choice and install that into the Omen's tower as a second HD?  Does this present a conflict when switching drives?  Will the machine need to be rebooted to the new drive in order to use it?  I used to know how to do some of this stuff long ago, but that knowledge has since left the building.  I've also been reading that I could create a virtual machine to eliminate this problem entirely, but I'm not sure I trust anything out there on "the cloud" to be there when I look for it again with all of the worldwide hacking nonsense that's been going on in the recent past.

Sorry for such a rambling post, but it's been a long while since I've had to post anything tech-related.  Thanks for your input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:13 PM

I would suggest that this would be more feasible if you run XP in a Virtualbox;

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1853121/set-virtual-windows-machine-virtualbox.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users