Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Google Chrome (Malvertising, Malicious Code's) Question!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:14 AM

Hey there, does Google Chrome blocks Malvertising, or any other harmfull, malicious codes, viruses? because my plan is to delete my Adblocker.. but have read there are Malvertising (Ads) that may have malicious code into the ad that can loads automatically into your Computer even if you don't click on the Ad at all.. kinda scary so thats why i asked you guys this question.. already blocked Flash player because i dont use it. xD i hope you guys can help me.. :) will the Sandbox of Chrome prevent any Malicious code, Viruses, Malware, Malvertising dirty Code (into ads that try's to load into your system) from run it?

Cheers!

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2017 - 11:28 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

Nothing is going to be 100% effective against truly nefarious players.

I would advise against getting rid of your ad blocker unless you want to be inundated with advertisements as you browse the web.  They don't have to have any malign intent to be unbelievably annoying.   The main reason I started using ad blockers was because I could no longer put up with the blinking, scrolling, video insets, etc., that dominate web ads and that show up multiple times on virtually any page of, for instance, online news, search engines, etc.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:58 PM

Nothing is going to be 100% effective against truly nefarious players.

I would advise against getting rid of your ad blocker unless you want to be inundated with advertisements as you browse the web.  They don't have to have any malign intent to be unbelievably annoying.   The main reason I started using ad blockers was because I could no longer put up with the blinking, scrolling, video insets, etc., that dominate web ads and that show up multiple times on virtually any page of, for instance, online news, search engines, etc.

yeah i feel you, but is Chrome strong enough to block Malvertising, Malicious codes.. trough the sandbox?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

I answered your question as best it can be answered:  nothing is 100% effective against nefarious players.

Chrome's sandboxing is good, very good, but any security measure will eventually be breached.  That's why there's an endless updating game where security patches are trying to keep just one step ahead of the latest vulnerability before it's exploited to become a cyber plague.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:27 AM

I answered your question as best it can be answered:  nothing is 100% effective against nefarious players.

Chrome's sandboxing is good, very good, but any security measure will eventually be breached.  That's why there's an endless updating game where security patches are trying to keep just one step ahead of the latest vulnerability before it's exploited to become a cyber plague.

Hmm, oke Thanks! i have uninstalled my Adblocker, because ABP doesn't block the ads anymore on Tomshardware, so i can live with Ads i think :/ but thanks for the help i will stay tuned! :D

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:45 PM

Then try uBlock Origin as your ad blocker.

#7 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

Then try uBlock Origin as your ad blocker.

Yeah i have tryed uBlock origin on Chrome, because you and other People recommended it to me, but can i disable/untick (Tracking lists) and only use Easylist with the uBlock -- filters..? (because i dont care about tracking or that kinda stuff)

and is it a good idea to turn on (Strict Site Isolation) on Chrome v63? and do you know some Flags that i can Change (to have more Security in Chrome), already have enabled some Flags for faster image Rendering, Scroll anchoring and some Omnibox features :P

Cheers!

Edited by Doghen, 08 December 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

You've already answered your own question.  If any software gives you the option to check or uncheck a given feature then you can turn its use on and off at will.

I really don't get what your worries are with regard to security if you are engaging in safe browsing and downloading habits.  Your best security comes from your own behavior, not from any software to protect you (though that's essential, too, as accidents can happen and legitimate websites can sometimes get hacked).

#9 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

You've already answered your own question.  If any software gives you the option to check or uncheck a given feature then you can turn its use on and off at will.

I really don't get what your worries are with regard to security if you are engaging in safe browsing and downloading habits.  Your best security comes from your own behavior, not from any software to protect you (though that's essential, too, as accidents can happen and legitimate websites can sometimes get hacked).

i'm just use the Internet as an normal-user i don't go to strange sites or click on anything i see.. But when Chrome gets new Features for better Security i can enable them for more Security :P 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users