Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need to buy a new motherboard...?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mreeves5959

mreeves5959

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:01 AM

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the DIY PC community and Im having an issue after building a mid range rig and using it for only two weeks. Im afraid I may need to buy a new motherboard because i cant think about what else the issue could be but please give me your thoughts.

I left my computer running and left to go to the dining hall for about an hour last night and when I came back and turned on my PC, nothing happened. So I unplugged the PCU and waited a few second and plugged it back in. When I plug in my PCU, the LED power indicators turn on on my GPU as well as my mother board and the PCU fan begins to turn. When I press the power button on my case, however, nothing else happens. My case fans dont turn on and my CPU cooler fan does not turn on and neither do the GPU fans. No boot up noise or screen starts and my PC seems completely unresponsive. I have a LED strip that plugs into my PC with a USB and that lights up but nothing else happens. I cant believe that I have a busted mother board after just two weeks but with my limited knowledge I cant imagine what else it could be.

Please give me yalls thoughts before I go drop money on a new motherboard thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:30 AM

Just an idea since you have partial power it could be the PSU, do you have or can you borrow a known working one.  It will tell you one way or another whats up.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:39 PM

give us some spec's of your system you built:

motherboard model

psu size

and all devices attached to it HDD/DVD video card.

that way we can get an idea if your power supply is underrated for the equipement.

sometime you will buy a generic power supply that says rated for 700watts, but it's really not.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

I had an old computer where I pushed the power button and got nothing. What brought it back to life was a powercycle. Pull the power and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace your power and boot. This may not help you but it can't hurt either. 

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:53 PM

Yes, it might be the PSU. I would run some more tests before you buy a new PSU.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

If I may chime in with an observation folks  :)

I left my computer running and left to go to the dining hall for about an hour last night and when I came back and turned on my PC, nothing happened. So I unplugged the PCU and waited a few second and plugged it back in. When I plug in my PCU, the LED power indicators turn on on my GPU as well as my mother board and the PCU fan begins to turn. When I press the power button on my case, however, nothing else happens. My case fans dont turn on and my CPU cooler fan does not turn on and neither do the GPU fans.

The PSU is starting up without the chassis power button being pressed, suggests either a system short, an incorrect internal connection or worse case scenario bad power good signal between the MB and PSU.

Need the brand and model name or number for the case, motherboard, RAM (including the amount) PSU and any add on video card that you may have mreeves5959

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

To the OP, Did you get this figured out? A new PSU is easy to change out but if you need any help the folks here can help you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users