Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor contrast getting lower.... ??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:34 AM

I'm starting to notice this week that the image on my monitor seems to be a bit washed out, especially in the blacks, even when no signal the screen goes dark grey rather than black... Also when I change the contrast on the monitor's settings it doesn't seem to make much difference except a small change in the very low numbers (0-20%). As far as I can tell it happened over several days, maybe weeks but I can't be sure as I haven't been paying much attention and didn't really notice it was a problem until today.

I've also tried it on two laptops (both VGA and HDMI) and the same so I don't think it is software related.

The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster S24B350, and am using Windows 7 or 8 depending on computer/laptop with DisplayCAL Profile Loader 3.2.3 (have of course tried resetting it but no change to contrast). 

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this and what I could do to fix or compensate for it? I really can't afford a new monitor right now :'( 

Edited by noz03, 06 December 2017 - 05:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

If you turn up the contrast also try turning down the brightness.

This seems to be a moderately old monitor, the CNET review I looked at on Google was dated 2011, it could be that it is starting to suffer from old age. There is no need to replace it immediately unless you are trying to do serious photo editing on it, but it may be you need to think about replacing sometime in the next year.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

The loss of contrast could be affected by the brightness level.  When the brightness is at high levels, that will reduce the apparent effect of the contrast control.  I never run any display device that has a brightness control above 50%.  This allows better control of the contrast and yields a longer  life of the display.

#4 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

Just to update, it actually got so bad I could barely barely read things on the screen, but in the end I found a factory reset option in the monitor menu which fixed it up completely... No idea what caused this in the first place but glad its fixed now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users