Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Upgrade - USB and Boot problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sovreer

sovreer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:58 AM

Hi Everyone.

Today I installed a Samsung SSD 850 EVO and installed Windows 10 on it.

I soon noticed problems with the USB ports on my system. Let me mention I had similar problems in the past with Windows 7 but never so severe as this; and my Windows 7 system was running smoothly before this upgrade to 10, with no USB issues.

Now when I boot into 10, devices are not being recognized in USB ports when I boot the system, or they mysteriously "disappear" soon afterward and I begin to repeatedly receive the message: "USB device not recognized. It has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." I have multiple devices hooked up via USB: hard drives, a sound card, a wireless card, keyboard. Any or all of them either won't work or will stop working after the system boots. I have installed all drivers available for my motherboard (ASUS M5A97 R2), and have also turned off all the power saving settings in Windows 10, for hard drives, USB, etc. None of this has helped.

I began to wonder if this was a problem with my motherboard, because a week ago the on-board audio seemingly died. Now I only hear silence and static if I insert headphones or speakers into any of the jacks. This is why I purchased the external sound card. But I booted up from the old Windows 7 system and USB seems to be operating fine there, so I'm guessing this is something Windows 10 specific.

Another worrying thing: on a restart,  while I was trying to troubleshoot the USB problem,  my system would not boot up but remained frozen on the Asus splashscreen. Before this I had booted numerous times to the new Windows 10 system on the SSD, without issue. But it just suddenly stopped for no explicable reason. I went into the BIOS and found it was not the primary boot device. So I made it the primary boot device. But the problem persists: the system will not boot to Windows on my SSD now unless I go into the BIOS and manually select the SSD.

Any help you can give me to solve these problems would be much appreciated! Thanks.

*Update: I can now longer boot Windows 10 from the new SSD drive at all. Previously I was able to get in by using the "over-ride" option in the BIOS but now nothing, even if it is set the SSD to first priority. If I disable everything but the SSD the BIOS doesn't recognize a drive there. I get the message: "Reboot and select proper boot device." If I enable my old Windows 7 drive the BIOS takes me to my old "boot manager" screen from which I can access Windows 7.

Edited by sovreer, 06 December 2017 - 03:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,810 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

When and how did you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

What version of Windows 10 are you running?  The most current version at this time is the 1709.

How did you install Windows 10 on the new SSD?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sovreer

sovreer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for your reply. 

I have installed all the updates so the version I am running now is 1709 (Creator's Update).

I did the install via USB. 

On a recent reboot chkdsk automatically ran, and it appears to have found and fixed some errors on the new SSD that were preventing it from booting. So I can now boot into Windows 10 once again. On the last boot I did get the error "Page fault in nonpaged area" but on the second try it booted. (Is it possible there is a hardware error with this SSD? The Samsung Magician software shows the status as "good.")

The "disappearing USB" issues persist, with seemingly random USB devices ceasing to function soon after bootup.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,810 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

Please answer my question from my last post.  I need this information.

Please do a Reset.  This will reinstall the operating system, you will have the option to save any personal data you have but it will uninstall any third party programs you installed after the initial installation.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security, then Recovery, then Get Started.

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Edited by dc3, 06 December 2017 - 01:13 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 sovreer

sovreer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:26 PM

Hi dc3. Which question of yours did I miss? So far as I can see I answered them all.

I'm doing the reset you suggested right now.

I will test out the system after the new install and update you then.

Thanks for your help.

#6 sovreer

sovreer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

No problems so far since the reset. Left the computer on overnight running file backups, and none of the USB ports disconnected.  Will update this thread again should the problem return.  Thanks again, dc3 for providing an effective solution. Much appreciated.

#7 sovreer

sovreer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:38 PM

Unfortunately I spoke too soon. The problem just recurred. First my wireless dongle disconnected. Then one of my hard drives. And then, something that hadn't happened before, static started coming from my speakers, and I had to disconnect my external sound card to stop it. If I plug the sound card back in the static comes right back. I have not yet rebooted the system because I'm in the process of backing up some files.

What do you suggest I try next?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,810 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

Power Cycle the computer.

Shut down the computer, unplug the PSU from the wall receptacle, press and hold the power button for thirty seconds.  Restart the computer.

You can change the Power Management settings in the Device Manager so the the ports will not shut down to save power. 

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu.

Select Device Manager from the Quick Link Menu.

With the Device Manager open scroll down and click/tap on Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand the options.

QL7SSzC.png

The ports outlined in red need to have the Power Management settings changed.

YyLOtY1.png

Start with the USB Mass Storage Device, double click on this to open it.  

wWfOO5m.png

Click/tap on the Power Management tab, remove check in the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, click/tap on OK.

Repeat this with the remaining USB Root Hubs outlined in red.

Restart the computer so the changes will take place.

Edited by dc3, 08 December 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#9 sovreer

sovreer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

Hi DC3,

Followed your latest instructions. I've already disabled power saving on the ports you highlighted (I had previously disabled power saving through the windows power settings while troubleshooting).

In device manager I also found the following:

ASMedia USB Root Hub (2x)

ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Contoller (2x)

I assume these are the controllers specifically for my Asus mobo USB ports? 

It turns out power savings was enabled for the ASMedia USB Root Hub,  so I have disabled it.

Also: I think I may have accidentally discovered the source of these mysterious USB disconencts. Something I didn't suspect.

All of my USB HDDs have external power supplies, except one: a WD Ultra Passport 3 TB drive.

Last time I had all the USB ports disconnect on me is when I had the Passport hooked up for file backup.  I think the other times the disconnects happened the Passport may have been hooked up too. During the night I left my system up when nothing disconnected the Passport was not connected .Since I last posted I have been running the system nonstop without that Passport hooked up and guess what? no USB disconnects.

Could this Passport be causing an issue like this? And  assuming this drive is the culprit, why would that be? Does it indicate a problem with the drive circuitry requiring an RMA or does it mean my USB bus just can't handle as much as I have hooked up? The other three USB devices I have that don't have external power are a keyboard, the creative omnisurround, and a wifi dongle. Would that be enough to put the USB into overload?

Edited by sovreer, 08 December 2017 - 06:05 PM.

#10 sovreer

sovreer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

Ok never mind what I wrote above about the passport. Just after I posted it my wifi dongle and omnisurround disconnected. And now upon rebooting I'm having the same issue with it not recognizing my ssd drive and taking me to the boot management menu for my old windows 7 system on another drive.

It is now automatically running chkdsk on my drives.

Starting to wonder if I just shouldn't install windows 7 on my ssd since everything was working for me under 7, though I'd rather not run an OS which support is being phased out.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,810 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

In device manager I also found the following:

ASMedia USB Root Hub (2x)

ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Contoller (2x)

I assume these are the controllers specifically for my Asus mobo USB ports?

This is a Dell docking station which should have its own power supply.  This is what your external hdd without its own power supply should be plugged into.

Why are you trying to run chkdsk?  You need to be aware that if you are going to run this on a ssd you need to use the /f switch, the command would be chkdsk /f.  You probably received the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

The next time you start the computer the chkdsk /f should run.

Please don't run any unrequested scans.

You still have not answered my questions in post #2.  I need this information in order to understand exactly what you have done.  If you don't provide us with requested information we will not be able to help you.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#12 sovreer

sovreer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

Hi Dc3,

Just to clarify - I did not initiate that chkdsk you referred to in your last post, it was automatically initiated by my system on reboot.

My apologies if I missed your original request, but I don't need to take up any more of your time with this - I found the problem and solved it.

I'll post the solution here in case it may be of help to anyone else dealing with the same problem in the future.

The problem did turn out to be an external USB hard drive but not the Passport as I originally thought. It was another drive with faulty enclosure circuitry that was causing the problem. It was difficult to identify the particular device because when it disconnected it was taking all of my other USB devices down with it. 

I started watching this external HDD and saw sometimes it was not powering on though all cables were connected. I had to wiggle the power cord around to get it to power up. Then it was intermittently losing power and disconnecting, and wreaking havoc with the whole USB bus.

Solution: I removed the drive from the faulty enclosure and installed it as an internal drive. Now everything is running smoothly and all USB problems are gone.

So if anyone else is having a similar seemingly insoluble USB problem be sure to look closely at  each of your devices for any kind of irregularity.

Thanks dc3 for all your help along the way.

Edited by sovreer, 11 December 2017 - 03:39 PM.

#13 KUPOkinz

KUPOkinz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:19 AM

Can I offer a suggestion if this happens again? I had a similar issue and changing the USB SETTINGS to LEGACY MODE in my bios solved the problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users