Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have my computer with no os installed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jellyfishv99

jellyfishv99

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:51 AM

Hi.I just got my new computer an IdeaPad 320(this computer isn't my main) i want to delete my windows 10 os and leave my computer having no operating system,well because im going to use this computer for tor browsing only on a bootable tails os usb. How do i completely delete this windows 10 os?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,915 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:11 AM

Hi

How long have you been using Linux? If you need any help please feel free to ask.

There is no need to remove Windows from your PC.  Do you wish to keep it?

Are you going to use the hard drive to store anything? If no then you could simply unplug the power supply to it.

Otherwise just format the drive using something like Gparted.

Edited by NickAu, 06 December 2017 - 01:16 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:51 AM

There is no need to uninstall Windows, just continue to use Tails OS from your USB stick. It is always best to have some OS that is in the computer just for hardware management so since you already have Windows 10 you might as well keep that, it will not effect the privacy or security of Tails OS at all.

How much experience do you have with Linux? There is a Linux site here at Bleeping Computer that you could also use.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

Since you're booting off of USB, why not just pull the drive?  If you really wanted to be sure, that would probably be the best way.

#5 jellyfishv99

jellyfishv99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

Ive been using linux for 2 years now.Yes i want to remove windows 10 os from the pc no i dont wish to keep it.No im not going to use the hard drive to store anything as im only going to use operating systems that work off a bootable usb like mx,puppy,tails .Are you suggesting its not possible to use a computer with no operating system installed on the hard drive and use the computer using bootable usb's with persistant storage with operating systems that run mainly on a usb like mx,puppy,tails,etc?

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,915 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

Hi

Like I said if you don't need Windows just format the drive using Gparted, Mount the drive delete the partitions and format it as Fat 32 or NTFS, No more windows.

Are you suggesting its not possible to use a computer with no operating system installed on the hard drive 

No, Your PC will boot just fine from live media.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

It is perfectly possible.  If that is the case, pull the drive out of the machine and you're done.  You may need to adjust the BIOS so that it either doesn't look for the drive or boots even if there is no drive.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:03 PM

It is perfectly possible.  If that is the case, pull the drive out of the machine and you're done.  You may need to adjust the BIOS so that it either doesn't look for the drive or boots even if there is no drive.

#9 jellyfishv99

jellyfishv99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:31 PM

Ok ill go with the remove the HDD option.But how do i fix the UEFI problems that come with not having a HDD and using these os's from a usb?How do i adjust the bios so that it doesn't look for the HDD and boots without a HDD?

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

Normally there is a setting about not stopping on certain errors.  The other thing would be to move the boot to hard drive option to the bottom of the boot order.  This isn't something that I have done, so I don't know how your machine will react.  Here's an article that may help.

#11 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

The bios won't look for a hard drive if you do not have one installed, You should set the bios to boot from the usb as your first boot device, You shouldn't see a hdd drive to add to the boot order but you'll probably see the cd/dvd drive and possibly a network device in that boot order. If you boot it up without the usb, it'll just error stating "no bootable device found"

Edited by Joe C, 09 December 2017 - 02:47 PM.

#12 jellyfishv99

jellyfishv99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:01 AM

Update:Ok ive decided that im going to install mx linux on my computers ssd because this samsung usb(Samsung usb 3.0 flash drive fit 32gb) doesnt fit inside this usb(Corsair flash survivor).And i dont see any necklace accesory that would allow me to remove the bootable os usb without removing the necklace.So any more information about installing mx linux onto the computer and having it as the only os would be appreciated thanks.Going to do it by via software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users