Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs Locking Up And Runtime Errors

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 carinsharon

carinsharon

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:49 PM

I am getting quite a few run time errors and few programs lock up on me and get error message that the program is gonna have to close...What is causing these run time errors? I have tried uninstall and reinstall and that hasn't fixed the problem. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hi carinsharon,

Run time errors can be caused by various different sources. Would you post the exact errors here please? If you have a chance to report the problem to Microsoft via there problem reporting system, please do so and check to see if they give a "info here" link.

Thanks

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:55 PM

I'm checking the system logs and here is what I am getting:

The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00508D7B7D3C. The following error occurred:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

These are the most frequent ones...Its a real problem with the programs shuting down though. I'll be right in the middle of something and get the error that the program needs to shut down.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

How old is the computer?
If more than two or three years old have you ever changed the cmos battery?

The time issue:
Download Atomic Clock Sync freeware utility and it will adjust the time issue.
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/
Once you set it up you can have it start with Windows and adjust the time daily if you want to. I have mine set to only use when I want it, not to be automatic but it's your choice.

#5 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:26 PM

Not an old computer ...New motherboard just a couple months old. Thats what is really strange cuz my computer keeps time and not slowing down...If the time was slowing down that would be the first thing I would do is to change the battery...

Is the message about the time not being syncronized what is causing the run time errors?

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:39 PM

Are you current on your Microsoft Windows updates?
Are you on a home network?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:49 PM

Everything is updated regularly....Windows, anti-virus, spyware, all get updated and kept currant...No I'm not on a home network...

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:09 PM

Not an old computer ...New motherboard just a couple months old. Thats what is really strange cuz my computer keeps time and not slowing down...If the time was slowing down that would be the first thing I would do is to change the battery...

Is the message about the time not being syncronized what is causing the run time errors?

"The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized."

Well, it seems that one was.

"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00508D7B7D3C. The following error occurred:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

Those two may be related.

The semaphore timeout period has expired.

This is the way in which XP reports that they were unable to renew a DHCP lease.
DHCP difficulties might be due to an over-tightly configured firewall, so try again with the firewall off. If that cures the problem, then you know for sure that you need to reconfigure the firewall for DHCP.

What firewall are you using and what AV program?

#9 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:15 PM

I'm using Sygate Firewall and Norton Anti-Virus...NOTE: I was getting the errors before I installed Sygate back on my computer....and I have always used Norton ...

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:33 AM

Try opening a command prompt (go to Start...Run...and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter)

Then type in (one space before the /):

ipconfig /release

and then type in (one space before the /):

ipconfig /renew

I doubt that this is the cause of the programs crashing - but this will renew your DHCP connection manually.

Please check for other errors in the Event Log. You can do this by clicking on the categories in the left hand column (Application, Security, and System) and then checking the errors in the right hand column. Look for errors that occur around the time of the program crash.

Edited by usasma, 26 September 2006 - 07:33 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:11 AM

Make sure the Windows Firewall is off - you will get conflicts using two software firewalls.

In Googling Semaphore Timeout Period it seems that there is a commonality in posts asking about that have a commonality of using Norton.
Something may be misconfigured in it.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,816...+period+expired

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:34 AM

You can "usually" fix the Norton problem by uninstalling it ("usually" is because occasionally there are problems removing it - and there are special tools for this).

Then either reinstall it, or use what is IMO a better antivirus - AVG Free (and it's free!): http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-virus...e/lng/us/tpl/v5

Edited by usasma, 26 September 2006 - 08:35 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users