Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plex

Plex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:17 PM

I am building new pc. Never done before. Got windows 10 usb. Installed, then screen went black. Took hours to try to find answer. Couldn't find any help. Rebooted bios. Had system only boot windows boot manager. It worked! Windows 10 continued the setup (choose region, location service, privacy settings etc). Windows 10 up and running. Even went on internet. I get a notification saying 'need to reset to install updates'. I select restart now. screen goes black (same fashion as before). Nothing. 

I cannot find an answer and this is driving me insane. Please help. I have no idea what I am doing. 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 December 2017 - 07:30 PM.
Moved from Win XP to Win 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

It may be a graphics card problem. Can you start in safe mode & if so does the log in screen appear? If you can log in then update the graphics driver/s. If theyre already upto date then try downloading the driver from the card manufacturer (nVidia etc), uninstalling the drivers & clean install from the downloaded package.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:24 PM

It may be a graphics card problem. Can you start in safe mode & if so does the log in screen appear? If you can log in then update the graphics driver/s. If theyre already upto date then try downloading the driver from the card manufacturer (nVidia etc), uninstalling the drivers & clean install from the downloaded package.

Unless the OP has set Safe Mode to be available during startup they are not going to be able to boot into Safe Mode.  This has to be configured in System Configuration.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

@Plex

First of all, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

quoteI get a notification saying 'need to reset to install updates'.[/quote]

Reset what? 

Is it suggesting that you perform a Reset of Windows 10?

A Reset will basically reinstall the operating system to the condition it came out of the box, except it will allow you to keep your personal files.  The downside is that this process will uninstall any third party programs you've installed.

If this is what you want to do, instructions are available below to perform a Reset on a non-bootable computer.

How to perform a Windows 10 Refresh from Installation Media

A Refresh will basically reinstall Windows 10.  This will not effect your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you installed.  You will be offered a list of the programs which will be uninstalled, you can use this list as a reference to these programs.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:44 PM

He's likely referring to restarting instead of resetting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users