Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to properly sandbox/firewall a file or folder and monitor its activity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Keneedy

Keneedy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

Hello folks!

I have a simple security problem and would like to hear your thoughts and advices on the matter.

I need to download some files that i really need, but they are mounted on an .ISO that i heard was infected. The point is: i need the files, so i have to download the .ISO, put it inside a sandbox from which i can monitor its activity while i extract the files, but the files need to be properly 'firewalled' to prevent any malware activities until i scan it and delete any possible malwares.

So how its the best form of doing this? 

Or is this attempt surely suicide?

Can you please indicate programs that i should use on this?

Thank you very much!!

(Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but i'm using Windows 10)

Edited by Keneedy, 05 December 2017 - 07:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:30 AM

What were the files you needed to download?

Please post the link to the website where you downloaded the ISO.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Keneedy

Keneedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:40 PM

Its some personal files (photos, books, etc) shared via torrent. Can't post it here.

In any way, i want to know if this procedure is possible (downloading, scanning and removing malware without being infected).

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

The easiest solution would be to temporarily download Qihoo 360 Total Security or Total Security Essentials and use the Sandbox. You could run Winrar and use it to extract the files out of the iso file. 

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/no-more-worries-when-running-untrusted-programs/

Second would be to open the iso file in a virtual machine, i.e. Virtual Box running another OS. This would be the safest as the virtual machine is completely segregated from the home OS. Extract the files and save to a USB flash drive.

https://www.htpcbeginner.com/access-usb-drive-in-virtualbox-guest-os/

Personally, I have never done this so there may be some snags.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users